Couple of hoverflies...

All nice photo's but I do like that shieldbug.

Fab set - I love the 2nd image, with the body showing through the wings, very interesting shot.

I think shieldbugs have to be my new favourite bug - they don't creep me out and there is such a variety of them, the amount of colours I have seen posted up in TP, its pretty amazing. Time to do some research on those little fellas, I need to find out what they are all about.

First quick search and RHS seems to have an idea there are only 2 types of Shieldbugs in the Uk...
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/Profile?pid=519

I think they need to do some more research - I've seen probably 5 different types just on TP alone.

Last edited:
I really like the 2nd one. The symmetrical composition works really well and it leaps off the screen. shield bug is interesting too, is that a hairy one?

@Carlh I think there are more than 2 knocking around. I've photographed at least 3 different species in my back garden!

Cheers all. Bryn's right about #1 too, something is a bit off

Timmy, yep, it's alternate and far more apt name is Hairy Shieldbug.

Fab set - I love the 2nd image, with the body showing through the wings, very interesting shot.

I think shieldbugs have to be my new favourite bug - they don't creep me out and there is such a variety of them, the amount of colours I have seen posted up in TP, its pretty amazing. Time to do some research on those little fellas, I need to find out what they are all about.

First quick search and RHS seems to have an idea there are only 2 types of Shieldbugs in the Uk...
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/Profile?pid=519

I think they need to do some more research - I've seen probably 5 different types just on TP alone.

They may be referring to native ones... RHS like to do that! especially with lady birds.

They may be referring to native ones... RHS like to do that! especially with lady birds.
ah right. The next website gardenersafari had a number of them that I have seen on TP. Lots are appearing from other countries, I guess they're getting caught up in the fruit/veg/flowers that we have shipped or flown in from abroad and then breeding here. I cant imagine what ecological damage foreign insects can do to our plants and insects though but I bet there will be.

Well done with the prize. It is a very elegant image.

Nicely done with the stacking of the shield bug. It's an excellent image for sure, but all the same it made me wonder about the sharpening, including when I went over to look at a larger version. I think it may have gone a little too far for my taste. Or perhaps it is microcontrast rather than sharpness. I don't know. But there is something about the hairs that makes me a little uncomfortable. I'm also wondering (don't know if this is connected in any way) if the insect's back is a little high key or some such. (I'm having difficulty pinning it down and finding the right words.)

Normally I would play to see how the image responds as I find that can help me shape my views and correct misconceptions on my part. But of course I can't do that with your images so these comments are perhaps not well grounded.

Anyway, perhaps we just have slightly different tastes. And with it being your image, it is your taste that matters of course, not mine.

Wow congrats Mark. Looks like some pretty decent glassware there too!

Well deserved mate.

well done an good reward for your work

how was it printed ……. did you use an outside company?

Last edited:
Cheers guys

Bill, It was printed through DS Colour Labs, and stuck on A3 foam board as the organisers requested. Some people had had their shots properly mounted though, even some with shots printed bigger than A3.

Hopefully Santa will be bringing me a mount cutter for Xmas, so I can mount my own shots. Prints are still reasonable enough online to not need a printer at home.

The light diffusion on the Hover is exceptional. I hope your going to enter some of the Collembola surfing on the Barkfly pictures in competitions. you will need to buy a display cabinet. (y)

The light diffusion on the Hover is exceptional. I hope your going to enter some of the Collembola surfing on the Barkfly pictures in competitions. you will need to buy a display cabinet. (y)

Thanks TC, I never seem to see competitions until it's too late to be honest. Need to be more vigliant and seek some out maybe.

I entered WPOTY and BWPA this year, and was lucky to get a shot shortlisted in the latter at least.

Back