CPL - Anyone seen these before ?

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking around for a slim CPL for my 10-20, started off looking at the Kenko Pro1 range. Looking at this ebay seller, suddenly I dropped on this page.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nicna-77mm-Pro1D-Pro-1D-CPL-Circular-PL-Digit-Filter-77_W0QQitemZ220434710725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Filters?hash=item3352eec0c5&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

These are listed in the US section only, if you pick the UK section only kenko come up.

Has anyone even heard of these before? Could if be a kenko re-branded for the US market. Everything looks the same. It even mentions the Hoya Pro 1D glass as does the Kenko listings.

At the price its probably worth a punt anyway.

What do you think?

Russ

i would like to know the answer as well
ebay has become a minefield

I'd avoid, unless you want to be a guinea pig for the rest of us? I've bought cheap polarizers before and always been disappointed. Although this is not a name brand, chinese filters are usually rip offs and not worth the money. Especially with something like a cpl you should spend the extra cash on a known good make from a uk supplier.

Toying with getting one just to satisfy my curiosity 9and hopefully get a useful polariser).

If I take the plunge I'll post some sample images, I've not used one before so can't really judge personally.

Russ

I cant see ebay here in work but if its a token amount compared to a branded one its worth a shot.

I bought a no name one off ebay, £5 delivered for a 77mm CPL!

Honestly having tried it compared the results i was getting using a Hoya one i really cant notice any difference. Infact i usually prefer the cheapy one, gives me nicer greens for some reason.

I bit the bullet today and bought a B+W from a UK supplier. Filters are a complete minefield...alot of the HK suppliers just look too cheap esepcially with the likes of B+W which aren't asian brands. I don't think its worth the risk, thompo has had good results...he doesnt state which Hoya filter he was using (was it a Pro1D?)...

...There are so many fakes out there...you might not notice the difference unless you have agood filter sitting next to you.

I currently run cheap UV Hama filters on my lens...and was looking at some test shots today and wondering if i should bite the bullet and buy better ones along with my CPL purchase.

FILTERS ARE SO CONFUSING! THE PRICE RANGE IS HUGE AND DIFFERENCE IN IMAGE QUALITY IS QUITE HARD TO CHECK PROPERLY!

I cant see ebay here in work but if its a token amount compared to a branded one its worth a shot.

I bought a no name one off ebay, £5 delivered for a 77mm CPL!

Honestly having tried it compared the results i was getting using a Hoya one i really cant notice any difference. Infact i usually prefer the cheapy one, gives me nicer greens for some reason.

I bought a 77mm CPL from ebay as well for £6.99 and when compared to my Hoya I didn't notice any difference. Looks like I was done, could have saved £1.99.

Fine for 'dipping your toe' I s'pose but don't expect miracles.

CPL's are very much in the realm of "you get what you pay for" and if you do a lot of landscape/outdoor photography it's something you should spend good money on.

The best two brands in a very good review I saw on a Polish site were B&W MRC and Marumi DHG.

I personally rate Marumi - I'm not really convinced there is much difference in IQ between C-Pols, but B&W and Marumi use excellent coating that don't mark and are easy to clean.

Has anyone Bit the bullet on this Nicna? I'm wondering if it's a Rebadged Hoya/Kenko Pro1
As far as filters go, The Hoya Pro1 and Kenko Pro1 are exactly the same.
The Marumi DHG Super is as Good as the Hoya HD, surprise surprise, they have a 99.5% light transmission and hard coatings.

Back