Critique Craigendoran Pier Sunset

Hi Steve 3 miles!!! is that all? #1 for me the setting sun and the water movement works best I think, Thank you for sharing
kevin

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
They're both strong but I agree with your own analysis - I think. Good light, framing, tonal range, and thank God you chose not to use a 10-stop cliché (sorry, filter).

I think I prefer no.2, better dynamic range.

PS. Sold my Big Stopper, most liberating thing I've ever done!

I prefer the second as I like the tones more.

Number 2 just has it because of the dynamic range but I like 1 for the flare and rays of the sun. I'm not adverse or hung up on blown out bits like many! Is that not how you see it if you look directly into the sun?

Anyhow lovely silhouette of the old pier on the left, lovely colour in the sky, love the way the golden light from the cloud is brushing the water in places, very nice!
Well done great shots....

Nothing wrong with 10 stop but everything has it's place.

3 miles, walk in the park eh, Kev :)

One is as you'd see it. I used three grads in it. Lee .75 hard, and .9 and .6 soft. Probably why it's vignetted but it was the only way in a single exposure to get the blame right.

I don't own a big stop. I've got a little stop I would use for waterfalls. I didn't see the need here.

Number 2 just has it because of the dynamic range but I like 1 for the flare and rays of the sun. I'm not adverse or hung up on blown out bits like many! Is that not how you see it if you look directly into the sun?

Anyhow lovely silhouette of the old pier on the left, lovely colour in the sky, love the way the golden light from the cloud is brushing the water in places, very nice!
Well done great shots....

Nothing wrong with 10 stop but everything has it's place.

3 miles, walk in the park eh, Kev :)
this for me too, it would look unnatural if you grad'ed so heavily the sun wasn't blown

but, no. 2 for me largely down to the more interested clouds.

The horizon seems a fair bit out mind.

Horizons level but the land slopes in and out a bit. The far bit your looking out to firth of Clyde. Agree about grading the sky, I put a whack of filters on as it is
the horizon seems more level on the first than the second (based on the water) also based on the first horizontal joist of the pier

Nothing really to grab my interest with this. No real structure to the structure, too messy.

It's a disused pier. Sadly it's not still in use and has fallen into a state of disrepair
Yes I realised that, I just dont think it makes a good image. I think it takes up too much of the frame too.

They're both appealing shots to me but do have a slight preference for number 2

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

If the pier is disused, its disused, If the water isn't calm then it isn't calm & for gods sake man get there 1 min earlier in future. Come on people it is what it is, and it's superb.

I prefer the second, better dynamic range and nice colour reflecting off the water. The clouds centre and right offer a good balance to the large diagonal beam centre and left too.

the horizon seems more level on the first than the second (based on the water) also based on the first horizontal joist of the pier

You've spotted the compositional flaw. Due to me rushing to get the sunset I didn't quite get myself truly perpendicular to the pier, managed to get close and level just in time. The joists also to erosion etc and old building standards aren't completely level. It does look like the pier is leaning.

Back