Crested Tits

Great looking birds and well captured, one of the very few things i wish would move down south from Scotchland :)

Great looking birds and well captured, one of the very few things i wish would move down south from Scotchland :)

Nothing in its right mind would do that.

Lovely birds. No 2 is the best composed, the others are too central imo. They look a bit soft but I'm viewing on my iPad so this may not be the case. I'll look on my PC later. The exposure, setting, bg and bokeh all look good.

Always nice to see these little birds.

Number 2 for me also.

1 & 3 do seem soft though.

I've now looked at them on my PC and all 3 are indeed soft with 1 and 3 being the worst. Can't see the exif so dunno what settings you are using.

Not that it's you fault but this is another example of where the bird forum falls down with non relevant comments (from some people who should know better).

I can't see the exif either so I'm not sure whether it's a focus issue or shutter speed.

Tail feathers on the back look OK in 3

Thanks all - I think its shutter speed, which at the rate Cresties move around is an issue - and a very shallow DOF - handily I bought a f2.8 again today so will get better results next time I go North I hope! I will have a think about some different cropping too, thanks Brash

Had another look - many of the Cresties were at ISO 640, f4 and less than 1/500th sadly - the Great Tit attached is ISO 200, F5 and 1/640th - focus on the eye and the shallow DOF lets it down even at this - I was quite close to the birds as I didn't want to use a TC with the F4 which has left me with even less depth to use I think? Perhaps I need to have a look at better processing [sharpening] too?

View attachment 28826

Back