Critique Critique and Feedback please - Orpheum Theatre

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,
It's been a while since I posted anywhere on the forums, mostly due to moving country and settling in there, but I thought i would ask for some feedback on some photos I took on a recent Photowalk to the Grand Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver. I've been trying to expand my range of photo types just to get more experience really. This was pretty much my first go at any sort of architecture stuff.

Thanks
Chris

Up In The Gods by SevenFive Photo, on Flickr

Stage Fright by SevenFive Photo, on Flickr

Make A Grand Entrance by SevenFive Photo, on Flickr

and you've made a great start with three well composed and taken images. The first would be my pick of the three as it has the stage as a focal point but they're all great, well done.

Thank you very much. The first one is my favourite too, it was taken from the projection box. We were very lucky to have pretty much full run of the place that day

I'm sure we all recollect the warmth of the colours and lighting in theatres and you've really captured that in these shots. Clicking through on to the Flickr versions really brought home the massive amount of detail in these photos and I'd highly recomment that to any other viewers. Fine shots!

I'm sure we all recollect the warmth of the colours and lighting in theatres and you've really captured that in these shots. Clicking through on to the Flickr versions really brought home the massive amount of detail in these photos and I'd highly recomment that to any other viewers. Fine shots!
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you like them. They do of course look better larger on Flickr

The colours are fantastic. Vibrant and warm without being "in your face". And what a great venue.
Have to agree and say that the first is my favourite. The perspective really draws the eye to the stage.

Really awesome set, I'm on my phone but can't wait to see this on the pc on a bigger screen!
Looks a gorgeous place :)

Nice - I really do like these, looks a fantastic place so please no offence when I offer the following :)

2+3 could do with a straighten :) - though it might be the distortion, the chairs at the front in the 2nd image are much lower on the left than the right and in the 3rd image, the lines on the ceiling reach further up the screen on the right, as opposed to the left.

Sometimes I hate wide angle lenses, but at the same time, I totally love what they do. Im not sure if the colour balance is a little too warm though, very yellow.

The colours are fantastic. Vibrant and warm without being "in your face". And what a great venue.
Have to agree and say that the first is my favourite. The perspective really draws the eye to the stage.

Thank you, i used a "subtle HDR" preset in lightroom to get the warmth,

Really awesome set, I'm on my phone but can't wait to see this on the pc on a bigger screen!
Looks a gorgeous place :)

It was lovely there, given the chance I will go back and try and get some more varied shots, when I think back there were lots of nooks and crannies I could have got shots from.

Nice - I really do like these, looks a fantastic place so please no offence when I offer the following :)

2+3 could do with a straighten :) - though it might be the distortion, the chairs at the front in the 2nd image are much lower on the left than the right and in the 3rd image, the lines on the ceiling reach further up the screen on the right, as opposed to the left.

Sometimes I hate wide angle lenses, but at the same time, I totally love what they do. Im not sure if the colour balance is a little too warm though, very yellow.
I take no offence whatsoever, I think I didn't notice the levels as my camera said it was level so i didn't give it a second thought. Something to remember for next time and to pay more attention to in PP.
It was my first time out with a wide angle, in fact I bought it specifically to go on this walk (and to use for other things, but this was my motivation)

I will give them a little edit when I get some time. Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback.

As you can't exercise a great deal of compositional skill with an image like this the visual interest normally comes from ensuring everything is perfectly central, level and as symmetrical as possible you could have possibly spent more time on the camera set up and ensuring the people were out of the background etc. some of these things can be fixed in post but generally look better if the bulk of the work is done on camera. I would also try and correct the white balance a bit without loosing the natural ambiance you could also try reducing the saturation a bit.

I would also try and some lens distortion correction and correcting the vertical to give the images more visual impact, although you may loose too much of 1 and 3 to get a full believable looking correction.

As you can't exercise a great deal of compositional skill with an image like this the visual interest normally comes from ensuring everything is perfectly central, level and as symmetrical as possible you could have possibly spent more time on the camera set up and ensuring the people were out of the background etc. some of these things can be fixed in post but generally look better if the bulk of the work is done on camera. I would also try and correct the white balance a bit without loosing the natural ambiance you could also try reducing the saturation a bit.

I would also try and some lens distortion correction and correcting the vertical to give the images more visual impact, although you may loose too much of 1 and 3 to get a full believable looking correction.

Thank you very much for the advice, it was my first go at doing this style so I know I still have a lot to learn. With regards to getting people out of shot, it was a bit difficult as there were about 40 of us there this day, and we were limited on time as it was a group tour, but it is certainly something for me to note for the future. I think in general I need to take more time over my shots. I always seem to be in a rush to take it and in all honesty I get home and look at some shots and think it could have been better or a keeper if only I had just...

I'll try and get some edits up soon for comparison.

The best way round the people issue is just to take a couple of shots as the people move around because your camera position is fixed it's a very simple job to place the images on top of each other and mask or erase the people revealing the uncluttered scene from the image below.

The best way round the people issue is just to take a couple of shots as the people move around because your camera position is fixed it's a very simple job to place the images on top of each other and mask or erase the people revealing the uncluttered scene from the image below.

Thanks for the advice, I will give that a try next time too.

Back