Critique - Do you get asked often?? Newbie Here

Name
Christina
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys,

Well here goes my first ever post on here (well not counting my introduction post in the welcome section).

I'm a total newbie and would love to hear what you think of one of my pictures, i'm eager to learn and better my ability so please be honest (I'm ready ;-) )

Do you get asked often to critique work? Do you find it helps the photographer? Naturally its something I thought of straight away....I took the picture...edited it in LR5 and thought, id love to know whats wrong with this so I can improve!

Thank you in advance for your time.

Christina Sarah

View attachment 25347

Do you get asked often to critique work? Do you find it helps the photographer? Naturally its something I thought of straight away....I took the picture...edited it in LR5 and thought, id love to know whats wrong with this so I can improve!

Thank you in advance for your time.

Christina Sarah

View attachment 25347

No, never.

To be honest I only know a few people who are really into photography and critique just never comes up :D

I like your picture. I personally would probably crop it a little to get the couple a little more central and I don't know what that thing is at the base of the tree, I may have been tempted to move it or clone it out as I find it a bit eye catching but other than that... well done :D

Thank you so much woof woof!!!

I really appreciate your answers and critique....very helpful!

Yes I notice now the light at the base of the tree I will play around with it to see what I can do, thanks for the tip! :)

I'm no expert but for me it's more the overall composition, with regards to the background. I'm guessing you are trying to portray how close they are as a couple. Unfortunately you have a tree in the background which is dividing their heads. Also watch out for buildings in the background, in this one the woman has windows growing out of her. You could possibly have moved to you right a little and put he tree either side of them, this may also has put the plain part of the wall behind their heads. I know you were possibly trying to use the bench as a lead in line, which you have achieved, it's just the background hasn't done you any favours. You could also of tried zooming in closer to capture the facial expressions rather than the scene. One thing I always do is once I have framed my subject I take a look round the viewfinder looking at the background and ignoring the subject just before taking the picture. As I've said you've done a good job of using the bench and the expressions.

Agree with Chris.

Try and frame at least their heads in an empty space. Watch for stuff 'growing' out peoples heads etc or lines disecting their heads d so on.

The first thing I noticed was the bright spot at the bottom of their legs/feet.

And the mans pose is a bit too posed.

Other than that, I like it. Nice colours.

Welcome Christina, other than what others have mentioned (I dont mind the posed look though), the bench slightly cropped out, I like the emotion from the image - is it daughter and dad (sorry if its man and wife, he looks a tad older than the lady) and some white blown out in the boots - I like the image.

I would have moved to the left and crouched down a little just to get a different angle on what seems a "standing shot". Keep it up though and good on you for posting up, keep at it :)

As already mentioned - the only thing I noticed was that the image is a little blown out in the bottom third. There may be more detail that can be recovered by pulling back the highlights a bit?

I am no expert though :)

First thing to strike me is the viewpoint. It's clear you're just standing there. This means you're looking down at the couple, which is not a great viewpoint for the viewer. Get down to their level a little more.... to their eye line. This is why tripods are useful all the time, as it breaks the habit of shooting everything from the viewpoint of "someone just stood there" which is one of the most common mistakes beginners make IMO. They just take everything from the same viewpoint.... standing.

That tree is annoying too... could you not have moved to the right to shift the tree out from in-between their heads?

Don't develop into one of these photographers that just treats the taking stage as "capture". The taking stage is THE most important part, as decisions made here can not be corrected in post processing... and the parts that seem to be correctable (exposure and cropping) have quality penalties. Get it right in camera.

You've blown out the highlight detail too... be careful with exposures.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your advice, I will take it all on board and keep practicing, I'm learning something new every day :)

Thanks so much again

Back