Curbar Edge

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had to get out with my new d40 and 18-55mm Kit.
Think I need to ad a neutral density filter to my kit, whats a good number to start with?
hang on pic to follow

Just guessing it's a landscape shot in which case a nd grad will be more use than an nd.

come on give me a chance to post the pics!!

Last edited:
:LOL: Nice entrance! :D

OK. ND Grads I think will help a lot. In 1 and 2, the sky is COMPLETELY blown (bright to the point of all detail being lost). The 3rd, whilst SOME detail remains, it is blown in parts.

By adding some ND Grads to the front of the lens, you will be able to bring the exposure over the sky area down.

Gary.

come on give me a chance to post the pics!!

Lovely location but it seems I was right ND grads or dare I say it some HDR would really help you here as the skys are badly over exposed, the forgrounds could also do with a bit of a saturation boost to make them pop.

I live very close to this location so visit it regularly. The sky is a pain and the suggestion of ND Grad is good advice.

#2 looks a bit washed out to me and could do with some colour depth.

Attractive pictures though of a cracking location.

you could just take 2 exposures, one for the ground and one for the sky then combine the 2 in photoshop, dead easy :)

you could just take 2 exposures, one for the ground and one for the sky then combine the 2 in photoshop, dead easy :)

Easier to use a grad though. :naughty:

To the OP; a couple of different grads will give you options for different situations. I don't do much landscape stuff anymore, but I think the two-stop (maybe, I don't even remember what I've got now) got used the most.

Easier to use a grad though. :naughty:

not if you havent got one lol

also with a grad you can line it up to the horizon but anything that goes up into the sky like say a tall chimney stack gets half of it underexposed, this this case the sky to the side of the rock outcrop would cause problems, how would you use a grad with that?

if i haven't made sense i can do a picture to show what i mean

not if you havent got one lol

also with a grad you can line it up to the horizon but anything that goes up into the sky like say a tall chimney stack gets half of it underexposed, this this case the sky to the side of the rock outcrop would cause problems, how would you use a grad with that?

if i haven't made sense i can do a picture to show what i mean

I understand what you mean, I find the effect you are describing only happens with fairly harsh use of a grad. I have to say since getting grads, I would never dream of an exposure blend to keep sky detail. I find the grad results to be so much better, at least for my own shots. The other benefits include the grads allowing you to slow the shutter speed.

Gary.

I am waiting for an ND and an ND grad filter to arrive, along with a circular polariser, went a bit mad on ebay. Idea of two exposures an combining them is neat though. looking forward to having fun with them. Wish I lived a bit nearer to the peaks myself, I'm sure I'll find some interesting locations locally.
Thanks for all the advice.

The other benefits include the grads allowing you to slow the shutter speed.
Gary.

i hope to recieve my B&W 10 stop filter end of july (6 week wait!!! :eek: )

love 2 and 3, but then it is the most photographed part of Curbar and I'm biased - lol

Back