Cwm Idwal

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Like the perspective and processing in number 3 but would prefer some space between the top of the tree/edge of the frame.

Nice set Rory, No 1 for me. Is that from the top of the Devil's Kitchen?

Nice. I prefer 1 I think - If only there was a bit more light nearer to you and a bit more white water. Lovely though, all 3.

I've lost sunglasses in many places in my time, several pairs as far flung as Aus and NZ and last time I was over in Snowdonia true to form I dropped a pair down the falls in 2 & 3. As I was walking off I was struck by a bolt of defiance, turned around and climbed the bottom to fumble around in the pools of cold water and bubbles in some sort of faint hope. I pulled them out within 30 seconds and I still have them to this day, a bit scrapped but perfectly good. A great story I hope you'll agree.

Nice. I prefer 1 I think - If only there was a bit more light nearer to you and a bit more white water. Lovely though, all 3.

I've lost sunglasses in many places in my time, several pairs as far flung as Aus and NZ and last time I was over in Snowdonia true to form I dropped a pair down the falls in 2 & 3. As I was walking off I was struck by a bolt of defiance, turned around and climbed the bottom to fumble around in the pools of cold water and bubbles in some sort of faint hope. I pulled them out within 30 seconds and I still have them to this day, a bit scrapped but perfectly good. A great story I hope you'll agree.

Must have been a good pair of glasses !!

Is this what you meant ?

One of the many streams that feed into Llyn Idwal by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

Ahh that's better was getting withdrawal symptoms!
Stunning set Rory, I love them!
No1 beautiful shot, love the dark and light cloud contrast, and the streaks of light hitting the mountainside, nice subtle colours, the stream running under your feet (I've stood there myself). The mountains nicely framing the Llyn nicely bracketed by the paths. I love the foreground in this shot, hard glacial rock forming a pool before it heads off down to Llyn Ogwen.
No2 Stunning light! Wonderful silhouette of that tree, against the cold clear blue sky, fantastic cloud on the peak, and wonderful lead in with the Llyn. This is my absolute favourite! Spell binding shot.
No3 nice little tickle of B&W just to finish off a wonderful set, looking back to where you came from....

Really cracking set! Loved looking at them Rory number 2 is just gorgeous IMHO.
Thanks for letting us share them!

Ps since I started writing the above post and got waylaid by work:( You've sneaked another shot in. I do think you should be more discreet however Rory when your caught short on the mountainside ... I mean I might have been on the climb up ;)

One Word .......................u heard it somewhere else lol

AWSOME

Dave

After several views, all the colour images above continue to look a bit luridly over-processed to me, in various ways - often tonally, or to do with sharpening. The compositions are good and engaging, and deserve better.

Honesty above effect. Give the place the dignity it deserves.

Far from the 'normal' images of Cwm Idwal, Rory. Very nice shots.

This. I like the second with the fluffy cloud at the summit of Pen Ye Ole Wen but my favourite is the 4th shot. Does not look over processed to me, just a unique shot that captures the nature and feel of Snowdonia.

After several views, all the colour images above continue to look a bit luridly over-processed to me, in various ways - often tonally, or to do with sharpening. The compositions are good and engaging, and deserve better.

Care to share your findings as you are already aware of the area and the formations of the features, they look ok to my eye, you say honesty trust me this is, no TARDIS here just alot of walking and watching each and every step, and making sure you dont become another stat that has slipped and fallen to their death, thank you for sharing Rory lovely exposure and framing of the tree hope you kept your feet dry?......please post some images Rog wether that be Snowdonia, the lakes, i
Isle of Skye, Yorkshire Dales or Eourope OR wherever you may roam?

Last edited:

Thank you for your observations Droj. If we all agreed on everything the world would certainly be a dull place.

I enjoy all types of photography from landscapes to rally cars etc. I try and put my on slant on things and occasionally,as we are all guilty of, go to locations where others have been.

The conditions were not great for photography when I took the shots from the side of Devils Kitchen. I kept asking myself why had I gone up there at all? I was hoping that the weather forecast was correct and the clouds would start to break. Thankfully it did, but much later than expected.

I had no set plan that day, just go out and take some shots, that's it. When I walked up to the location I took in the views and tried to make the most of it. There were quite a few deletes as the histogram was all over the place.

If you think the PP is OTT then that's your opinion. I was at our camera club last night and we had an evening on lightroom and how to make landscapes stand out. The tutor used the same technique as I do in making rocks stand out a couple of run throughs with the clarity brush tool or Vivezza. Works wonders.

I think you are from Mid Wales? .........Love to see some landscape from there.

Cheers,
Rory

Rory - rock is a natural entity all it's own. If you're going to try to render it in a photograph, then my gut feeling is that you ought to respect it as fully as possible. It's from earlier in the universe than all of us, and the last thing to need false enhancements. I like rock to be rock, without earings and lipstick.

Kevin - I haven't fallen to my death yet, despite having been on some pretty rugged hills, and wish that you'd acquire a bit more intelligibility.

Back