• Stick with my D200

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Upgrade to D610

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Upgrade to D7100

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
hehe, good luck with that :)

...apparently as long as I get it from John Lewis so she can have the 'points' we're onto a winner! They do sell it at full price though whilst I see Jessops and PC World doing it for £2399.

BTW, all of your DX lenses will work as well with the D810 in DX crop mode. It'll just be more like using a D7000 image wise.
i think the viewfinder image is different as you get a "cropped" view with thick black borders but could be a short term compromise while wait to upgrade a dx lens

If I were going to buy camera, i'd like to get D610

Last edited:
i think the viewfinder image is different as you get a "cropped" view with thick black borders but could be a short term compromise while wait to upgrade a dx lens
Not sure... I know the D8xx series just outlines the DX area when in DX mode. I like that because I can use the extra viewfinder to "find" the subject. The "negative" is that it's not that hard to overlook that it's in DX mode.

But I'm not certain that you don't get "black borders" if the FOV is cropped automatically due to putting a DX lens on it... I don't have any.

Looking at your lenses, don't forget to consider the cost of upgrading those to FX lenses which are normally more expensive - buying a D610 in the summer cost me another £700 in buying a 16-35 FX wide angle!

(The post above wasn't showing when I posted!)

Well I went the whole hog - raided my piggy bank and got the D810. :D

...as you say it's now time to start saving for some decent glass! I've got a Nikon 50mm 1.4G to keep me going for a while and will see how I get on with my Sigma 105mm Macro at the weekend.

Given I like the wider angles I've considered the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G ...but also thinking of the Nikon 16-35mm f4 G AF-S ED VR which is slightly more manageable cost wise. Perhaps a more day to day lens in the Nikon 24-70 f2.8... unsure if Sigma have good alternatives for these focal lengths - always used Sigma on DX and had no complaints.

Reactions: ST4
Sold my 14-24... replaced it with 16-35mm. But a 17-35mm f/2.8 is a great lens as well (costs almost as much as the 14-24).

I've got a couple Sigma lenses that are quite good on FF/D810 (120-300, 150mm)... and one that's just for fun (12-24).

Sold my 14-24... replaced it with 16-35mm. But a 17-35mm f/2.8 is a great lens as well (costs almost as much as the 14-24).

I've got a couple Sigma lenses that are quite good on FF/D810 (120-300, 150mm)... and one that's just for fun (12-24).

Thanks sk66, I'll check those out. I'm drawn towards the 16-35mm at this point I must admit.

I downloaded the Sigma lens brochure a while ago so will take a look. On DX my Sigma 10-20mm lens was my favorite for landscape and architectural - considered the alternative focal length on FX... am I right in thinking this is in the 12-24mm area?

I downloaded the Sigma lens brochure a while ago so will take a look. On DX my Sigma 10-20mm lens was my favorite for landscape and architectural - considered the alternative focal length on FX... am I right in thinking this is in the 12-24mm area?
Well congrats on the D810, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :) the two lenses you have are pretty good so I doubt they'll let you down. As for the 10-20mm equivalent in terms of fov on FX is 15-30mm so the Nikon 16-35mm VR is the closest to that, the Siggy 12-24 is uber wide @ the 12mm end, never used one but suspect a fun lens to use.

Well congrats on the D810, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :) the two lenses you have are pretty good so I doubt they'll let you down. As for the 10-20mm equivalent in terms of fov on FX is 15-30mm so the Nikon 16-35mm VR is the closest to that, the Siggy 12-24 is uber wide @ the 12mm end, never used one but suspect a fun lens to use.

Thanks PaulButler :D

I must admit I'm very impressed with the build and quality of the body - it feels just right in the hand even without the additional battery grip (which I used all the time on the D200 - it felt small without it). I must admit the MB-D12 grip seems very pricey, I recall the D200 grip costing considerably less. Another vote for the 16-35mm VR then! ...it seems like a good option right now. I spent a day at a reasonably local National Trust site on Saturday with the D810 and 50mm 1.4G - it was a very good first outing with the camera. I was impressed with the depth of field - the affect was much more pronounced when shooting with the D810 than the D200... though I did curse a little having to walk backwards alot due to the fixed focal length! :LOL:

Re: 16-35 vs 17-35. IMO, it really depends on what you want to use the lens for.

If it's for anything with movement in low light (ring-side sports/wedding/etc) the two stops faster of the f/2.8 17-35 is far more useful than the VR of the 16-35.

Re: 16-35 vs 17-35. IMO, it really depends on what you want to use the lens for.

If it's for anything with movement in low light (ring-side sports/wedding/etc) the two stops faster of the f/2.8 17-35 is far more useful than the VR of the 16-35.
ummm, it's only one stop faster ...

I've had a bit of luck this morning - one of my friends and work colleagues has loaned me a lens (that he uses with his D700) - not a wide angle but gives me something else to play with! ...a Nikon 70-300mm 1:4.5 - 5.6 G ED VR.

I'm having a day in London at the weekend, if I can find a decent shop I may see if I can try the 16-35mm if one's in stock.

Grays of Westminster one of the biggest Nikon only dealers. The 70-300 VR is a good lens.

If you look at costs/size/versitility the 28 300mm VR comes out as a good lens ……… and covers a big range ……. OK it's limited to f3.5/f5.6 …….. but I also find the Nikon 70 300mm VR a really good lens to carry around

Nikon put the (extensive) lens range together to confuse people and price is not always the best judge

The 24 70mm is big, heavy and expensive ….. non VR, which some say are not needed.

It is worth reading about this lens, the 28mm 300mm VR …….. especially if you are more into "general" photography than anything else ………. and looking at the image comparisons.

My favourite walk around lens is the Nikon 70mm 200mm f2.8 VR …… but it is a long and big "beast" and does raise a few eyebrows and expectations when you walk around with it at say a friends wedding ….. but the f2.8 and the VR make it worth it.

If you look at costs/size/versitility the 28 300mm VR comes out as a good lens ……… and covers a big range ……. OK it's limited to f3.5/f5.6 …….. but I also find the Nikon 70 300mm VR a really good lens to carry around

Nikon put the (extensive) lens range together to confuse people and price is not always the best judge

The 24 70mm is big, heavy and expensive ….. non VR, which some say are not needed.

It is worth reading about this lens, the 28mm 300mm VR …….. especially if you are more into "general" photography than anything else ………. and looking at the image comparisons.

My favourite walk around lens is the Nikon 70mm 200mm f2.8 VR …… but it is a long and big "beast" and does raise a few eyebrows and expectations when you walk around with it at say a friends wedding ….. but the f2.8 and the VR make it worth it.

...I've been looking around the web to get the lowdown on the 28-300mm, oddly the link I found was on the US Nikon site, couldn't find it on the UK site when filtering for telephoto/FX.

My preferred subject is certainly landscape and also architectural, so I tend to prefer the wider lenses. 18-35mm sounds a good option as I'm not sure I'd benefit from the faster glass of the 17-35mm or 14-24mm (or perhaps certainly not until I upskill my capability).

On DX my 'everyday' lens was a Sigma 18-200mm but the Sigma 10-20mm was never far away.

I keep thinking about the 14 24mm f2.8, but it is a big heavy lump

I have had both the Sigma DX 10 20mm and the Nikon DX 12 24 f4, both were really good,(but no good with an FX body), but in the end I sold both as I'm not really into wides for landscapes

I keep thinking about the 14 24mm f2.8, but it is a big heavy lump

I have had both the Sigma DX 10 20mm and the Nikon DX 12 24 f4, both were really good,(but no good with an FX body), but in the end I sold both as I'm not really into wides for landscapes

...it certainly looks weighty but I've seen many highly positive reviews. Shortly before buying the D810 body I'd consigned myself to either the 24-70mm f2.8 or 14-24mm f2.8 but since determined the 16-35mm may be more suitable initially.

The fact it doesn't it have a filter thread for me is a worry - I'm a fan of the circular polariser but also the sunlight filters for protection - it's a very expensive lens to not be able to give that extra degree of protection.

...it certainly looks weighty but I've seen many highly positive reviews. Shortly before buying the D810 body I'd consigned myself to either the 24-70mm f2.8 or 14-24mm f2.8 but since determined the 16-35mm may be more suitable initially.

I go through that "debate" once a month ……….. I keep moving towards the 24 70mm f2.8 ………….but I have a 50mm, 105mm and a 70 200mm ……..

If I want "wider" I tend to use my Leica M8

The fact it doesn't it have a filter thread for me is a worry - I'm a fan of the circular polariser but also the sunlight filters for protection - it's a very expensive lens to not be able to give that extra degree of protection.
Despite the 14-24's bulbous front end it doesn't need protection, at least not in the physical sense, the hood provides enough unless you are being a bit daft ;). As for filters for controlling light it uses a very expensive Lee set (the 150mm filters) to get a set of these costs just about as much as the lens.

I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the 16-35mm VR, it really is a very good lens and takes normal 77mm filters ;). Not tried the new 18-35mm AFS yet, have used the older one though and wasn't impressed. The new one is meant to be significantly better so that could be an option too.

Not convinced sticking a super zooms on the D810 is a great idea, by their very nature they are a compromise, but then I don't like super zooms so a probably not the best person to advise there ;)

Despite the 14-24's bulbous front end it doesn't need protection, at least not in the physical sense, the hood provides enough unless you are being a bit daft ;). As for filters for controlling light it uses a very expensive Lee set (the 150mm filters) to get a set of these costs just about as much as the lens.

I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the 16-35mm VR, it really is a very good lens and takes normal 77mm filters ;). Not tried the new 18-35mm AFS yet, have used the older one though and wasn't impressed. The new one is meant to be significantly better so that could be an option too.

Not convinced sticking a super zooms on the D810 is a great idea, by their very nature they are a compromise, but then I don't like super zooms so a probably not the best person to advise there ;)

I'd seen mention of the Lee set on one of the numerous articles I'd found on the 14-24mm. I may well set the 12-24mm as a "future purchase"! :)

I will see if Grays have the 16-35mm and are willing to let me have a go in the shop as I plan to take my camera along at the weekend.

...on the subject of Lee - I have the starter kit that I bought some years ago and I *think* I got the 77mm adapter as I used it on my Sigma 10-20mm DX/DC lens (admittedly not that much). I'm tempted get some more of the Lee ND Grads to enhance my landscaping - some of my shots I've been able to correct/improve in Lightroom using the ND Grad option and I have been considering - is it better to do it at the time with actual filters or spend the time in Lightroom.... that's a different discussion in itself!

Nice one, wish I could stretch to that. Back to you original post I would like to see the same composition of the same subject taken using the same aperture on the two cameras short listed originally. I have been looking at the D610 and D7100. The 7100 I could use my DX lenses, the D610 I would have to upgrade, so will sit tight and wait.
Good luck w ith the D810 and hurry up and post some shots!!!

Have you thought of the older nikon 20-35 lens. I use one with my D800 and am very impressed with image quality. I have just purchased the Nikon 24-120 and will be interested to see how it performs having seen some great and some not so great reviews.

Hi

Good luck with your D810

I still have a D200 which was my original camera but always eventually wanted FF and recently had the opportunity to buy an s/h D3 which I love for its build quality alone. I haven't compared images but I'm sure the ISO improvement will justify the expense. I had already purchased a s/h Nikon mount Tokina 11-16 for my Pana GH1 as its recommended for video on an mu4/3'ds camera via an adapter and of course being a DX lens is great for D200. The good news is that it will work on the D3 at the 16mm end which is still pretty wide. However my favourite lens has to be the 28mm AIS which I use on all 3 bodies. Maybe will look at a 20mm AI as the 24mm doesn,t seem to get such good reviews.

Originally I was thinking of the Canon route but really pleased I stuck with Nikon due to availability and compatibility of the older primes alone.

Happy shooting

pete

Nice one, wish I could stretch to that. Back to you original post I would like to see the same composition of the same subject taken using the same aperture on the two cameras short listed originally. I have been looking at the D610 and D7100. The 7100 I could use my DX lenses, the D610 I would have to upgrade, so will sit tight and wait.
Good luck w ith the D810 and hurry up and post some shots!!!

...I certainly shall! do we have ability to post shots within the forum or do we need to link to flickr?

You can post directly or link to Flickr. Most save pictures to Flickr, then click share and copy the BB code onto this forum just as if you are posting a reply or new thread. A link to Flickr will appear next to the photo, it can then be viewed on Flickr at full size.

I have a D610.

After months of umming and ahring about the 28-300 and its mixed reports I decided to just buy one and try it as a do it all for a trip to Vietnam. I have to admit I am very impressed, so much so that it has replaced my 70-300VR as it is basically the same as the 70-300VR (in fact it's a little sharper) with the added advantage of 28-70! it does suffer crazy focus breathing at the long end and the distortion at the wide angle means you wouldn't really use it as a full time wide angle but for me these compromises work. Another bonus is that it works pretty will with a x1.4tc.

In fact, I only used my 16-35 once and that was for a night trip inside a cave (this is also due to the lack of clear skies so no starscapes :().

I went from a D200 to a D300 which meant the lenses were ok to use and the upgrade made a huge difference. Then I kept the D300 (too good to part exchange) and got a D800. The D300 with battery back I use for fast FPS as often that is the better opion for moving subject and the D800 for the rest.
If you wanted to go FF and not worry about usage have a look for a D700

I went from a D200 to a D300 which meant the lenses were ok to use and the upgrade made a huge difference. Then I kept the D300 (too good to part exchange) and got a D800. The D300 with battery back I use for fast FPS as often that is the better opion for moving subject and the D800 for the rest.
If you wanted to go FF and not worry about usage have a look for a D700

He's already bought a D810, lucky boy.

Good choice - I am thinking of 2nd Nikon body for Costa Rica to go with my D3 (on the basis AF is better than on K-series)

Good deals on D7100 and D610 - not keen on D610 or D750, DX crop is restrictive so heading back to D7100, maybe get a D810 nexxt year

Back