D3 Lens advice

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Until very recently I had (still have) the D300 & D90, now I have the D3 as well I think I'll need another lens, besides my DX only lens I have the 50mm 1.4, 105 VR Macro, 180mm F2.8 and the 28-70mm f2.8, I don't do any wildlife shots (yet) so not the need at present for any long stuff, lens would be used for people/portraits, dogs and horses on the run etc, I'm considering the 70-200 which also has the benefit of being a bit longer on the DX cameras, how do any of you using the 70-200 on the D3 find it ?
Thanks
John

Fantastic lens,worth every penny.If your lucky you might get one second hand like i did,but they are in short supply so i'm led to believe.

Fantastic lens,worth every penny.If your lucky you might get one second hand like i did,but they are in short supply so i'm led to believe.
I've been watching quite a few go through on the bay, they are fetching around the £1200/1300 mark and most of those were probably bought a couple of years ago for a lot less.

Well nikon raised it's prices recently(as you probably know) and this has obviously had a knock on effect on second hand gear(+ greed).

I've been watching quite a few go through on the bay, they are fetching around the £1200/1300 mark and most of those were probably bought a couple of years ago for a lot less.

The thing is, by the time you go to sell yours on again, they would probably be doing £15-1700 on ebay secondhand ;)

Got no problem with people wanting to make a few bob especially in current climate. Just wish other people would stop bidding on the ones I am :D:D:D

I found the 70-200mm had slight vignetting at 70mm on the D3 , other than that it's a great lens but I don't think it's worth the premium over the 80-200mm f/2.8 af-s or even the af-d

Maybe not the full premium over the 80-200s, but the VR makes a big difference for me on the D3 and D3x. It's a better allrounder than the 80-200s due to the VR, and is still sharp. Which is sharper is really splititng hairs. The question is do you need the VR or not?

I've personally not had any issues that I have notices on the D3 series with vignetting, but I have read lots of people do. But I don't think it's a huge amount.

I considered the 80-200 but personally I think the option of the VR would benefit me hand holding.

I'm in a very similar position to you. Owned the D300 until I bought a D3 on Friday and after quite a bit of thinking I've decided to give the 80-200mm AF-D a go. I'm led to believe that they're releasing an improved FX'd version of the 70-200mm in the near future and having tried both I can't tell the difference between the results. If you really think you need VR however the decision is made for you.

I'm in a very similar position to you. Owned the D300 until I bought a D3 on Friday and after quite a bit of thinking I've decided to give the 80-200mm AF-D a go. I'm led to believe that they're releasing an improved FX'd version of the 70-200mm in the near future and having tried both I can't tell the difference between the results. If you really think you need VR however the decision is made for you.

A few years back I wouldn't have needed the VR but the old arthritis is getting a pain :) There's been rumours about an update for ages, I think Nikon are just waiting for me to buy one before announcing it's release :bang:

The only "issue" I found with the 80-200 was that it tends to throw up an error code now and again, on the likes of the D200/300/700 due to the usual Nikon mount issues, whether it does so on a D3 I have no idea, but it can be a real pest when it starts doing it :annoyed:

Hi Graham, are you talking the old DB Syndrome, glad to say I've not experienced it on the 300 or the 90.
It does appear that I'm now officially on the hunt for the 70-200 :LOL:

According to nikonrumor.com there will be an announced update towards the end of the month. They also have an apparently "leaked" nikon roadmap whcih specifies the 70-200 being upgraded.

According to nikonrumor.com there will be an announced update towards the end of the month. They also have an apparently "leaked" nikon roadmap whcih specifies the 70-200 being upgraded.
TBH I think I'll see if anything comes up at the right price but I don't think I'll worry to much about an upgrade, it's sods law that the moment I buy something a newer version comes out, but in the case of this lens with it's reputation I'm sure the difference won't show on my photos LOL

the 80-200 af-d is superb and just as good as the 70-200 - I wouldn't swap mine for a VVVVRRR lens - it is that good! - and a lot cheaper than the 70-200vr

TBH I think I'll see if anything comes up at the right price but I don't think I'll worry to much about an upgrade, it's sods law that the moment I buy something a newer version comes out, but in the case of this lens with it's reputation I'm sure the difference won't show on my photos LOL

Bear in mind that the announcement of the new lens will have an effect. It will probably drive more 70-200 vrs onto the secondhand market, and secondhand prices will go down a little. Not much, but every £50 makes it worth waiting till next wednesday doesn't it?

That's the date of the next Nikon Press conference in the UK.

Hi Andrew. thanks for the input, perhaps I should try one first, but although it's a little lighter than the 70-200 I think the VR would be better considering my Arthritis problem.

Bear in mind that the announcement of the new lens will have an effect. It will probably drive more 70-200 vrs onto the secondhand market, and secondhand prices will go down a little. Not much, but every £50 makes it worth waiting till next wednesday doesn't it?

That's the date of the next Nikon Press conference in the UK.

Yes it does, you never know it may even be cheaper ;)

Problem is I've bid on one tonight, mind you if I get it for my max bid I won't worry to much :D

I get a wee bit of vignetting with the 70-200, but it's not really terrible, since I quite often vignette my images anyway...

Back