D3 owners thread.

One more
dsc0705ec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have had my d3s auto iso set to 12800 since I bought it when they were released. It hasn't let me down once with regards to noise. That includes anything from shooting aircraft that go from bright sunshine straight into dark shade low level in Wales, to shooting indoors with no lights.

Kev.

ISO aside, I'd be interested in what picture control settings most people are using with their D3 ? I'm really only used to shooting Raw, but have recently switched to jpg for my own personal shots, and am currently with the D2X Mode III, which seems OK, but I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions.

ISO aside, I'd be interested in what picture control settings most people are using with their D3 ? I'm really only used to shooting Raw, but have recently switched to jpg for my own personal shots, and am currently with the D2X Mode III, which seems OK, but I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions.

i allways shoot JPEG neutral

can i just say the shutter sound on the D3s is :love:

Just thought say hello here.:)
I'm excited to be a proud owner of a mint D3 and will be delivered in the morning:woot:

Don't forget to check in advance that the doorbell is working :D

Was searching and found this

ACMAXX LCD Protectors and they are available on ..bay, not expensive.

Are LCD protectors worth the effort, anyone here tried them?

Thanks

Bit like asking Nikon or Canon from past threads - personally I think a layer of extra protection is sensible so I've got one (Hoodman).

Bit like asking Nikon or Canon from past threads - personally I think a layer of extra protection is sensible so I've got one (Hoodman).

I hear you but the D3s rear screen is made of the type of stuff that made corgi cars invincible! Try it, do a "to scale" 100mph crash with two dicast toy cars and marvel at the lack of destruction! :bonk:

I hear you but the D3s rear screen is made of the type of stuff that made corgi cars invincible! Try it, do a "to scale" 100mph crash with two dicast toy cars and marvel at the lack of destruction! :bonk:

I guess the protector is a bit like the corgi crash barrier then :D

Does anyone else use these settings
I set the front switch to AF-C and the back switch to the Big White Rectangle. Then I just shoot.

The D3 has so many AF sensors and have such intelligent logic that the "dummy" Big White Rectangle mode figures it out faster than I can. In this mode, the D3 magically and automatically identifies the correct AF sensor (or sensors) and uses them.

I no longer have to pretend it's the 1990s and choose sensors manually, or pretend that it's the 1980s (or 1950s) and re-compose after focusing.

The D3 does this with instantaneous speed and grace. Set this way, the D3 just focuses without me needing to do anything, and never clutters my finder with lit-up AF sensors. This is what sets the D3 apart from anything Nikon has ever made!

Here are the details. If I don't mention a setting, I leave it at default or it's not related to focus.

Front Focus Mode Switch: C, for AF-C, continuous tracking AF.

Custom Setting Menu a1 (AF-C Priority selection): I set "Release + Focus." Once set, I've never changed this again.

In the default of "Release priority," the camera just shoots, whether of not you're in focus. I never get any other than the first shot or two of a series in focus at this setting. It's a silly setting which makes the camera work fast in the store, but suck for moving subjects.

In "Focus priority," the camera waits until each and every shot is in perfect focus. This slows it down — a lot. This is the default for the AF-Single setting for still subjects, but a bad idea for moving subjects.

"Release + Focus" is an in-between setting, and it's perfect. I don't notice any slowing, but I do notice that almost all my shots are in focus, even in long sequences, and there is never any delay. I hit the shutter, and my D3 just shoots regardless of what's happening, like a missile's fire control system in battle short mode.

Set this way, the D3 just shoots. If you're way out-of-focus you'll get a fuzzy first shot, but you won't miss it and the D3 will be in focus for the next shot as fast as it can. You'll never have to wait for the camera, and you'll get almost every shot sharp.

Rear AF Sensor Mode Switch: I set it to the top setting, the Big White Rectangle mode. This means the D3 magically, and I mean magically, picks the right sensor or sensors. It's set to the Tit in the illustration at the top, and I call the middle setting the "Crosshair."

In the Big White Rectangle mode, the D3 uncannily selects the nearest eyeball of a subject, even way off center. It's incredibly good, and that's why I let the camera do all the work.

I can flick the AF Sensor Mode Switch without taking my eye from the finder, and I do whenever I need to.

If the magic Big White Rectangle mode isn't choosing the AF points I want, or if I want to force them someplace, I choose another setting of the AF Sensor Mode Switch.

The Tit mode at the bottom (as shown in the photo) forces the camera to just one sensor.

The middle "Crosshair" position lets me choose the sensor, and then in AF-C mode, the camera moves the sensor around to track the subject.

By setting the Custom Setting Menu a3 (Dynamic AF Area) to 51 Points (3D Tracking) in AF-C and the Crosshair mode, your manually-chosen AF point will magically move all around the frame tracking your subject! You'll see it move all around, and it really works. This only works in the Crosshair and AF-C mode; it doesn't move around in the Big White Rectangle, Tit or AF-S modes.

This tracking mode gives us another way to shoot if you don't want to select a single AF sensor near your subject. If you prefer, you can autofocus with the center sensor, and in this 51-point 3D tracking mode, keep your finger on the shutter and the AF area will move all by itself, tracking the subject as you recompose!

^^^^^ na just his mate trying to find out if anyone else is using these reccomened settings

Last edited:

I have a scratch on my D3S screen.

D3 is much older and so far unblemished. But I took the S to Peru.

I'm quite new to this forum (and this thread) I have recently bought myself a Nikon D3, and Im hoping this thread can give me some pointers or advice.

I just need to sell my Sony a700 and other kit to allow me to buy more for my D3!!

D

Welcome to the club.
Glad to see, some one else bought a D3 when new models are about to flood the market:naughty:

At last, will get my hands on a D3s on Saturday. And I don't care if the D4S+ is being released on Sunday. This one will be with me for a few years. :)

edit: sorted.

Last edited:
Well I seem to be one of the last adopters of a D3:LOL:

After agonising over whats going to happen with the new cameras from Nikon I bought a D3 :eek:

I hope I have done the right thing here.......I suspect the D800 will be over 2k and a D400 will still be a DX so its the best Full Frame body I can afford...

Reading the reviews and posts here... its not to shabby either(y)

Yeah. I'm a D700 owner but recently borrowed my mates D3 for a couple of shoots.
Stunning bit of kit. I was expecting the same image quality but not the increase in AF speed.
Going to have to find a way to buy one..

Well I seem to be one of the last adopters of a D3:LOL:

After agonising over whats going to happen with the new cameras from Nikon I bought a D3 :eek:

I hope I have done the right thing here.......I suspect the D800 will be over 2k and a D400 will still be a DX so its the best Full Frame body I can afford...

Reading the reviews and posts here... its not to shabby either(y)

Welcome to the club ... now you are holding a camera :D

Cheers Gramps,,,,,,,,,,:D Its in the post and my credit card is in the fridge, defrosting it:LOL:

Yeah. I'm a D700 owner but recently borrowed my mates D3 for a couple of shoots.
Stunning bit of kit. I was expecting the same image quality but not the increase in AF speed.
Going to have to find a way to buy one..

Well Trevor I borrowed a D700 for a few hrs and wanted one over my D300 - My 50mm lens looked like it did on my F5 so I was gagging - But unless you want to spend 1850 from John Lewis for a D700 there are few about - I never thought I would get a D3 in my price range - I did(y)

I am even more happy you have said you have a D700 and used a d3 and felt it was a more capable body! just confirms I have done the right thing(y)

Very excited....

Well, I have just ordered a Peli Storm case for my D3, to keep it warm as its going to be stored in a fridge...:naughty:

Last edited:
Anyone getting a D4??
Looked at a few write ups and really not worth the upgrade.........its basically a D3 miss spelt with a 4:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
ndwgolf said:
Anyone getting a D4??
Looked at a few write ups and really not worth the upgrade.........its basically a D3 miss spelt with a 4:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I must admit I am very tempted with the D4. We all joke that its just a rebadged D3 but it will be a massive improvement Imo. I just cannot afford the extra I'd have to pay over my D3S. I cannot understand the twin card format thing. The D3S is an amazing bit of kit, I may also be tempted with a D700 body to go with it...

I really cant think of any reason why I would want to spend the extra £thousands on what it seems to offer :shrug:

Back