D3100 upgrade

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my d3100 for a couple of years now and always struggle to get sharp pictures with the kit lens although do mange to get the odd one and have much better success with 50mm prime.
I'm now torn between upgrading to full frame D610 and a new lens or just getting a new lens such as tamron 17-70? And use the extra cash for some portable lighting.

If anyone has any experience or advice it would be appreciated.

I mainly take portraits.

go for new glass, Alan. The kit lens is OK, but thats it - primes are much better, as is something like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

I had a d3100 for years and got a d7000 earlier this year - expecting great things. To be honest, unless i was really pixel peeing, I couldn't tell the difference in IQ. the d7000 handles noise better though but its not going to blow you away

I'm not convinced upgrading the body is going to help you a lot here. You mention you have trouble getting sharp shots with the kit lens, therein I suspect lies a clue as to where the money should go :)

afaik Tamron don't do a 17-70 lens, they do a pretty decent 17-50 f2.8 though and that would be a nice step up from your kit lens. Additional lighting would always be a decent investment too, be it a speedlight or studio strobe - I'd start with one only though for now and one or two modifiers (brolly and/or softbox)

Can you post some of the unsharp shots up here, Alan? I don't know your camera but unless there is a serious front or back focussing issue I'd expect it would produce sharp photos.

Dave

D7000 is brilliant for me, sports etc. Looking for a 2nd camera - Nikon 17-55 on one and 105mm on the other. Would the d3100 do the job?
Primes are great. Shot everything this year using the 50 or 105 for cycling and running.

@mossienet - the d3100 is massively underrated IMO - its " entry level " but punches above its weight. I used it for drag racing with no issues, as long as you get AF-S lenses of course

Seen one in MPB for £149, possibly cheaper on the forum pages. I'll keep a lookout. Have seen a couple of people who also "do" fell races, using the D3100. Thanks for that.

@mossienet - the d3100 is masssively underrated IMO - its " entry level " but punches above its weight.

Same with the D3200 which I have. If the lens is the weak link, a new body isn't going to improve it, but a better lens will get better performance from the camera.

Steve.

Hmmm, we're not compairing it with a D7000 though are we? The D610 is a whole different ball game. The actual IQ would be a massive step up as would low light capabilities, dynamic range and the handling and actual ease of use would improve your photographic experience greatly. The ability to change settings without delving into menus is a big plus and having two scroll wheels is another. FF cameras should produce a sharper image also. And it has a far superior AF system.

Obviously the D610 is bigger and heavier and FF glass is usually heavier too if going for zooms.

You don't say what lens you're looking at to go with the D610 or what you're into, photographically but I'm assuming that the desire for lighting would point to portraits.

If you're looking for a stunning portrait lens then the 85mm f1.8 is really good and light as a feather. As for portable lighting, do you just mean a flash or do you want something with a bit more oomph? If so then the Lencarta Atom or Calumet Genesis (or the Godox version) is a great bit of kit.

HTH's.
David.

Yeah I find the 85mm is not wide enough, i'm using 50mm on a crop and find dont have enough room (plus I like to get closer to people), I think a 18-50 or 18-70 would be perfect.
After reading the comments above and on other threads I'm edging towards a new lens for the D3100 + something like one of these: Lencarta Atom or Calumet Genesis (or the Godox version) may help improve

Here is one of the un processed this was just me messing around waiting for one of my kids to wonder in (with my work jeans on:

Not sharp un processed

Portraits are brilliant! You've convinced me to buy a D3100 as a second camera. Nice one.
Someone will now tell me that I'm too easily pleased.

I was thinking portable as would like to to outdoor shoots and have more control over the lighting.

It was 1/160- F9 - 2 Flash Heads with softboxes (one of them broke that night, joys of buying cheap and getting ripped off)

Focus was done with my son stood where I was he then he ran off but I had the remote switch plugged in so technically he took the picture as had stood there saying "Cheeeese Daddy" however the ones I do are the same I just deleted them for some reason i've kept that one

Last edited:
Id definately look at the Genesis/Atom then if you're going to be shooting against the sun. Think the package is £400 with the battery pack and triggers etc.

Do you need the flexibility of a zoom? Primes will usually be sharper and quicker to focus unless going for a top end zoom from the trinity set for instance.

I replaced my 18-105 with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc but since getting the 35 and 85 it has lived in my cupboard. Shame really as it's a nice lens.

Oh are you buying one based on my portraits?

Strong possibility. I just DO fell running, road races and cycling events. There are times when I just travel light and use the 50mm prime. On Sunday I have been asked to cover an event and like to use a couple of lenses, hence the need for a second camera. Pensioner, so don't have a great deal of cash. (sob story)

Haha. :D Now you know how my mind works pretty much 24/7!

'The D7000 is fine for me and my needs'
'Yeah but the D610/750/810 would be soooo much better'
'Maybe m4/3 would be a good option for.me, some lovely primes for it'
'But what about the bokeh from the smaller sensor???'
'What would replace my 85mm? The bokeh and super shallow dof at f1.8 is awesome!'
'Mmmmm Fuji... mmmm... 56 f1.2... mmmm....'

Pretty much sums it up from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. :LOL:

Haha. :D Now you know how my mind works pretty much 24/7!

'The D7000 is fine for me and my needs'
'Yeah but the D610/750/810 would be soooo much better'
'Maybe m4/3 would be a good option for.me, some lovely primes for it'
'But what about the bokeh from the smaller sensor???'
'What would replace my 85mm? The bokeh and super shallow dof at f1.8 is awesome!'
'Mmmmm Fuji... mmmm... 56 f1.2... mmmm....'

Pretty much sums it up from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. :LOL:

I'm as bad as you, after reading the D750 thread and Ross Harvey's review it's starting an itch. Be nice for cropping when trying to catch the small birds in the garden. I need a AF lens as I'm strugling with the XT and manual focusing the Tokina 300mm f4.

Back