D40 P mode (program mode)

Edit My Images
Yes
Getting the hang of working the D40, but I have a question about the P-mode.. What is the point of it?

I can't see what the difference is between it an AV-mode.

Reading around (i searched this forum, but no info) I see it's a 'more advanced' kind of Auto mode - allowing the user choice to use the flash or not, and the ability to dial in some EV compensation.

But Compared to AV mode, that also allows the choice to use flash or not, and can dial in exposure compensation.

In P-mode Rotating the command wheel adjusts the aperture/shutter relation ship (which is the 'advanced auto' part of the mode, i guess), but doing that in AV mode does the same thing? So what is the difference and why would I use it?

Also, the D40 has a auto-no flash mode as well, there by taking away one of the supposed points of the P-mode..

I read the manual as well but it doesn't really help me.

thanks all..

ps. I mostly been shooting av / manual mode, but I'm just trying to work out the features.

Auto mode controls everything automatically
P mode controls Aperture and Shutter Speeds, but lets you control iso, flash, wb, AF etc.
A mode is the same as P apart from it only controls Shutter Speed
S mode is the same as P apart from it only controls Aperture
M mode is fully manual.

P mode stands for "pointless"

I know of at least one local Wedding Pro use P all the time :eek:

I only ever used it on holiday, when I was too pished to even look through the viewfinder properly - worked a treat (sort of)

So I'd say P stands for "Pished"

:D

DD

I know of at least one local Wedding Pro use P all the time :eek:

I know one as well.... and from his info, lots of others too!

I cant understand it, if you were in the reception at night then P mode would use 1/60th for the shutter speed and render the background nearly black.

Auto mode controls everything automatically
P mode controls Aperture and Shutter Speeds, but lets you control iso, flash, wb, AF etc.
A mode is the same as P apart from it only controls Shutter Speed
S mode is the same as P apart from it only controls Aperture
M mode is fully manual.

OK,
So P mode will pick certain (sensible..) aperture/shutter combos for a correct exposure, whereas AV will pick a shutter speed based on your choice of ANY aperture for a correct exposure. Although you can still pick from a few stops above and below an aperture size in P mode. The difference is subtle, I guess but I'm struggling to see when you would use one over the other. The only thing I can think is when you don't care what either the aperture or the shutter is, and you let the camera do it...

Don't be worried abbout using P mode when the circumstances dictate. You don't have to use Aperture Priority or Manual all the time as some magazines seem to suggest. P mode is useful when you just don't have the time to ponder aperture, shutter speed and so on. When you do have time, I recommend the A or M modes (for example) as you will get more out your photography.
As others have posted, some wedding photographers use P as a matter of course. I went to a wedding in 2006 where the photographer had a brace of D2X cameras and both were on P all day. I thought that was going a bit far but there were occasions during the day where I would probably have done the same. It's the result that counts, after all, especially if you are being paid for it.

would default P with the flash on, be the same as auto?

would default P with the flash on, be the same as auto?
Yes but note that:
In Auto you cannot adjust the Speed or Aperture at all
In P mode you can change the Speed / Aperture combination eg from 1/125 f8 to 1/250 f5.6 as well as the other changes mentioned in earlier posts.
I leave my camera on P mode so it is ready for a quick shot. I change to A or S mode when I have time to think.

P is fine when starting out, i used it before i got my head around aperture/shutter speed etc. But using it at a professional level is rediculous. I like to tell my camera what to do, not the other way around.

Actually In recent days I have been experimenting and playing, And I now find the P mode to work very well in combination with Auto Iso, and in situations (perhaps more snap-shotty) where by I don't really care about the aperture/dof, and i'm not wanting any special shutter effects..

This combination gives great no-flash indoor shots with not much effort, usually picks ISO1600, where speed of shooting is a concern.

It just all boils down to knowing the tool and what it can do for me. I think it's great that the DSLRS are clever enough to calculate all this stuff and let me take the shots without worrying. Manual and s/a modes are still there when I DO need that extra bit of control, so it's all good..!

I also never use auto ISO.

I use it all the time on my D300, great tool, the thing is to learn to master it and not let it master you.

Using 'M' I can see ISO / Shutter Speed / Aperture, in my viewfinder, I set my optimum combination, if the ISO starts getting higher than I want I adjust either shutter speed or aperture, or both to bring it back down.(y)

'P' mode is another option, works well with the Flash on Nikon cameras ... and when you are pished :beer:

There's virtually NO difference between P mode and aperture or shutter speed priority other than on first switch on - P mode will take into consideration the focal length of the lens and set the shutter speed accordingly then pick the aperture to suit. If you want or need a certain aperture or shutter speed, a quick turn of the dial and there it is. Need a bit more or less exposure, dial it in with exposure compensation, just like you have to in A or S mode.

Yes, there are times when you'll want a consistent shutter speed, in which case S may be better - same with aperture although then A mode is what you want. In ALL the automatic modes, the camera's making the decisions based on its meter reading and many people who use M mode still follow their camera's meter.

Much as I hate to agree with Ken Rockwell, P gets my vote. (Most of the time!)

One set of circumstances I will use P.

Off camera flash :)

Set the camera to P and the flash to ETTL. Using an ST-E2 on the camera dial in some -ev on the metered exposure and off you go.

If it's good enough for Damien Lovegrove............(y)

Mind you I do like the pished theory :D

Some interesting responses here. The way I see it, much the same as has already been explained:

In some situations, aperture control is more important than anything. Usually when you want specific control of depth of field, or maybe in low light. Use aperture priority.

In other situations, shutter speed is more important than anything: when photographing moving subjects, one needs to choose how much motion blur you want.

Most of the time, depth of field is unimportant, and the subject is relatively stationary and in good light, so what's the point of piddling with specific apertures or shutter speeds? P mode selects a very sensible combination of shutter/aperture based on the metering method you select so you don't have to worry about it. All you have to worry about is exposure compensation. I like travel photography, where I'm far more concerned about finding an interesting subject and making a good composition than fiddling with settings. Step forward P mode (but keep an eye on exposure compensation.)

Use M for better control in low light, when you want maximum aperture and don't want to go too slow on shutter speed to prevent camera shake or motion blur.

I find auto ISO really useful, goodness knows why you would never use it. Maybe some people are born with a built in lightmeter and ISO calculator in their brain.

To say using P mode is "ridiculous", is, well, ridiculous. What you're doing with P mode is taking advantage of 50 years' worth of camera development and advanced metering to give you the correct exposure 9 times out of 10, instantly. To somehow think that your combination of numbers is superior just because you've spent time spinning dials, when you've chosen probably the same settings as the camera would choose itself in a split second, strikes me as being just a bit misguided.

Most of the time, depth of field is unimportant, and the subject is relatively stationary and in good light, so what's the point of piddling with specific apertures or shutter speeds?

Because I can then choose the aperture which gives the sharpest image on a particular lens. The sweet spot is usually f8 or f11.

Nowt wrong with using P mode use it a lot myself ,at the end of the day it's the end results that's matter ,M Av Tv P modes i'll use any of them .Manuals more fun though (y)

I have a 30D, but I assume P mode is the same for all practical purposes. I keep the camera on P as a default, and change to Av, Tv or M if the situation requires it. P works well for me a lot of the time, combined with exposure compensation if necessary.They all have their place, and getting the image you want is the only thing that really matters. Manual can be very useful, and I didn't use anything else for about 25 years, but there's nothing magical about it.

Back