D5300 From Portus Digital

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, about 6 months ago I decided I wanted to buy a DSLR after my girlfriend and I toured around Scotland with another couple. The other couple had a Nikon D7100 and after seeing the photos he took I decided I wanted some of that.

Anyway, I did everything I could to research DSLRs. Mainly using internet forums such as this one, so thank you for your helpful tips and lively discussions!

I had pretty much made my mind up that I was going to either buy the D3200 or the D5200. The D3200 seemed like a massive bargain for the quality of camera and its "beginners guide" built into the camera. I really liked the articulated screen of the D5200.

I saw the D5300 with the 18-55 V2 lens on hotdealsuk for £369 from Portus which seemed too good to be true. I started research on the company and found out about the whole thing of grey imports.

I found feedback of Portus on feefo, trustpilot, this forum etc. The positive feedback of Portus on this forum was mainly from people with 1 or 2 previous posts. Like me! I spoke to Portus and decided that the body of evidence was sufficient for me to purchase from them. I ordered the camera last Friday, paying with my credit card, and it was delivered today. The camera was supplied with a UK manual (I was expecting a photocopied version) and an adapter to use the charger in a UK socket. The camera was beautifully packaged and I'm very happy with the overall service.

In summary, I would recommend that you buy from a "grey importer" as long as you are aware of the following:

• You do not get the warranty direct from Nikon for the camera. If something goes wrong I have a 2 year warranty from Portus, I know this is going to be far more inconvenient if something goes wrong with the camera. I'm happy to accept this risk given that I've saved £200 on the purchase price and the lens is covered by the Nikon warranty.
  • You're happy with the VAT situation.
  • You use all available tools to check the company you're going to be spending a considerable sum with, I would recommend feefo, trust pilot and internet forums.
  • You won't be able to participate in the cash back event.
I really look forward to using my new camera and learning how to use the features of it.

Happy to accept challenges from forum members who may not accept my credibility because of my few posts here. This post is mainly designed to encourage to check who they're dealing with and go into these things with their eyes open. I'm also happy to say I had a great experience with Portus Digital.

Frio

Back