D600 shutter replacement

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently acquired a used D600 and after a quick test I can see a few spots on the sensor. Its not too bad. But I've heard about Nikon offering to replace the sensor. How is this done? And also, does anyone know roughly how long they have it for?

Sorry. I meant to shutter.

Do I need to provide proof of purchase? I bought it used.

Go to Nikon support site. Log repair. Expect your camera to be away for a couple of weeks.

Go to Nikon support site. Log repair. Expect your camera to be away for a couple of weeks.

I'm in the process of this. I've selected warranty repair as the service. Assuming this is correct?

They clean the sensor first then if you are still getting dust/oil problems the replace the camera for a d610.

My question is though. On their online form. It asks if its a warranty repair or quote. Also I bought this used so do I still get the free service?

Seen on here quite a few times that Nikon warranty is non-transferable.
A lot or warranties are only valid for the first owner although some repairs such as the 5D mirror fix that doesn't apply

Last edited:
Ask Nikon directly, I would only be guessing, but my opinion would be unless its a recall yes

Last edited:
It could just be dust spots, any used camera could have them.have you an image showing them as someone on here may if it's oil or dust.

If you bought used from a shop take it back to them. If you bought used privately ask nikon direct.

I'm not sure what nikons policy is on this for used items purchased after the issue was known. They may offer cleaning, maybe a replacement shutter if it's very bad but I doubt they would swap it for a new d610 otherwise everyone would buy the d600 used cheaper then get nikon to swap it for a brand new d610. The problem with buying used is you buy knowing it's not covered by any manufacturer warranty. I was looking a the d600 used but I was looking for one that has had the shutter replaced.

Okay, an update on the current situation, regarding the Nikon D600.

US advisory, as quoted on Nikonrumors, is only applicable to customers who were part of the class action lawsuit.

UK advisory is that Nikon will clean the sensor, for the lifetime of the D600, should there be oil / dust issues. They may, at their discretion, replace with a similar model, i.e. does not necessarily mean a D610 could be another D600.

As regards the OP, go to Nikon site and follow the necessary steps to request repair. If asked, state it is a warranty repair, shouldn't matter that you brought it used.

I just read the above article and it says that ". However the Nikon D600 has unlimited free sensor cleaning forever in any country around the world."

Does this mean even grey imported D600 will be cleaned by Nikon UK?

I just read the above article and it says that ". However the Nikon D600 has unlimited free sensor cleaning forever in any country around the world."

Does this mean even grey imported D600 will be cleaned by Nikon UK?

Seems that way. I've also heard that some photographers, are more than happy to keep their D600, saving them quite a bit of money (cleaning sensor) over an extended period.

Here is a photo taken at f/22 and a little bit of added contrast in PP. This camera has about 1800 actuations.

DSC_1876.jpg

I have read that these are good to clean sensors. I might give it a go and see how things progress.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003D01L...=UTF8&colid=3EKETKXFQJKJU&coliid=IFO8CTU943OP

Last edited:
Does this look like dust or oil spots? I have ordered a wet cleaning solution for oil spots. Hopefully it will work ok.

Back