D610 back-focussing beyond -20MFD - service or warranty?

Name
Ned
Edit My Images
Yes
The first time I used my D610 in anger was on my recent holiday and whilst there I noticed my camera was back focussing quite severely.

Yesterday I managed to get the tripod out and try my lenses under controlled conditions and it seems all of my lenses back focus quite a lot and several of them beyond the -20 setting I can go to on MFD.

My question is, do I need to send it for a service or is it a warranty job? I bought it in the UK from John Lewis about 6 months ago.

Warrantee if they are nikon lenses. I would send one with it and quote the figure you are getting ie -20.

NOTE ..when you buy any lens you must do the back focus.I have never had a lens that was Zero..if you dont then the lens is focusing on a point you did not pick...remember its really a focus adjustment not "changing a back focus distance"

Last edited:
I've owned many different Nikon DSLRs and never felt the need to adjust (not that I always had that option) as it just seemed to work - any variance when using very shallow DoF was as likely down to user as the camera but this is way off.

I recently bought a 28-300 for my D800. At 300mm I photographed a lamp post about 60ft away. All blury. after adjusting the back focus I could read the 1/8 high phone number on the label....OK if your camera has no adjustment then you are stuck but if it does you would be silly not to have it spot on.

Back