D7100 D610 D750 ???

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Up for some opinions please.
If your wife offered you a new camera (body only) for crimbo with a price tag in the region of 1300 what would be your choice.

Bare in mind you own a D7000 are not a pro and don't and never will earn your living from the use there off, having said that a ff.......Ummmmm :rolleyes:

The D7000 could go to fund a shortfall say in the 750's case..

Need a grip which Nikon just happen to throw in at the moment if you go the 7100 or 610 route :banana:

Or wait for the 7200 whilst growing older !

Should of mentioned.
Lens....
Nikon 70-200 2.8 II
Nikon 105 macro
Nikon 50 1.8
Kit lens 18-105 which will or won't get kept.
So hopefully would work for fx if route taken :)

Had a hold , and try of the D7100 today, for the second time in two weeks, lovely in the hands, especially if you have large mits like myself, if your lenses are DX, then its a lot cheaper to stay DX, I have been through the deciding stages myself, and have come to the conclusion for an amateur the 7100 would be my limit, as much as I would like the 610, I couldn't verify the expense. Just got to talk the better half around now. My LPS were very good, talking me through the pros and cons, at least they werent trying to push me along the FX route.

If I had a D7k and £1300 then I would be buying a holiday somewhere nice to take photos of.

Short of that I would be buying new lenses.

I really like the 16mp sensor in the D7000 (moreso that the 24mp in the D7100) so unless you think it's holding you back in any way I see little reason to change it. Besides, bodies lose value at an alarming rate, glass doesn't.

Should of mentioned.
Lens....
Nikon 70-200 2.8 II
Nikon 105 macro
Nikon 50 1.8
Kit lens 18-105 which will or won't get kept.
So hopefully would work for fx if route taken :)

Sounds like you are covered lens wise but what do you photograph? I found the D7100 to be an improvement over the D7000 especially AF. I've since moved to a D800 which is good, I'm liking fx but you do have to remember your lenses get 'shorter' (equiv field of view changes). The D7100 is a very good camera and it is the best crop out there. It's easy to use a right angle viewfinder to make low shots easy to get. I thought of a d610 but I really see it as a fixed d600 but the small AF coverage at 39 point wasn't as good as I would like for wildlife. The d750 was released a few weeks after I got my D800 and it does look ideal for wildlife. After purchasing the d7100 soon after the release I wouldn't buy so soon again and instead wait for the price to drop a little. If you could wait until the january/February/March the d750 may have dropped a little. The d7100 will soon be a bargain like the d7000 when the d7100 was released. The grip offer is a good offer if you wanted a grip too. If you are happy with dx then the d7100 will be pretty good. There is no real need to move to fx as dx is pretty good. It will be interesting to see if nikon follow nikon with competition for the 7d2.

Bare in mind the cost of FF lenses. This put me off the d600 some time ago
And me, I looked at theD600 and D610, but it was cost of lenses put me off.

Interesting post about D7000 though by Nawty, I looked at this as well, but I thought it was not a big enough upgrade from my D5100 to make it worth while.

Last edited:

Interesting post about D7000 though by Nawty, I looked at this as well, but I thought it was not a big enough upgrade from my D5100 to make it worth while.

I went 5000 to 7100. Id have love ff but i couldn't afford the jump. But the dynamic range of the 7100 is just about better than any other body. That was an attraction for me

The reason to upgrade isn't image quality as the 'lower spec' bodies have the same sensors but you get better control of the camera as more expensive cameras have more direct controls to set the camera how you want with minimal fuss.

If you aren't frustrated by the lack of control your current body gives you then upgrading will do nothing for you.

Ultimately a crop size sensor with 24mp can out resolve most consumer lenses so unless you are prepared to invest many thousands in glass anything more than that is ego stroking.

The reason to upgrade isn't image quality as the 'lower spec' bodies have the same sensors but you get better control of the camera as more expensive cameras have more direct controls to set the camera how you want with minimal fuss.

If you aren't frustrated by the lack of control your current body gives you then upgrading will do nothing for you.

Ultimately a crop size sensor with 24mp can out resolve most consumer lenses so unless you are prepared to invest many thousands in glass anything more than that is ego stroking.

It's the layout and the handling I like about the 7100, and also the fact it's weather sealed.

I've always thought that one day I might move to FX (that day was today) and hence I have always bought FX lenses so my move to a D810 was only the cost of the camera. If you have only DX lenses then moving to full-frame would be a bit pointless unless you were thinking of changing them too and you are not going to do that with a budget of thirteen hundred quid. You might be better using the money to by an FX lens or two in preparation for a move to FX in the future. As has been said, glass tends to hold it's value but bodies are only good until the next version then their price drops like a stone.

I might also add that I went from a D7000 to a D810 and although I considered the D750 (and actually bought one but it was faulty and got a refund) I would never have considered a move from D7000 to D7100 unless I'd damaged my 7K; I wouldn't have thought there was so much of a difference to make it worthwhile.

As an indication of the used value of your D7000, I just sold mine on eBay for just £285 and I paid £900 for it two and a half years ago (or thereabouts). I have just paid over 2K for my 810, I don't expect to be able to sell it for more than four hundred in two years time should I choose to do so.

Just gone through your list of lenses and they all seem to be FX glass. If this is the case then buy the D750 as Holty and others say.

Give me some specifics please Gary esp against the 7100
Well to be specific, better in every single aspect, AF is blistering fast and accurate, kicks the pants off my old D3S, low light AF is amazing, High ISO is better than the D3S, Dynamic range is stunning, ergonomics, build quality.

i could go on but every single aspect of the D750 blows the D7100 out of the water

You can also get the D750 within your budget if you use Panamoz

Last edited:
I have just paid over 2K for my 810, I don't expect to be able to sell it for more than four hundred in two years time should I choose to do so.

FX holds value much better than DX, your D810 will be worth a lot more than £400 in two years. Id say nearer the £1000 mark, probably more. Are you sure you paid that much 2/12 yrs ago for the D7k, they were at £600 in Dec 12.

Last edited:
I can't add too much to the debate but I owned a D610 for about 6 months and now have a new D750. (I didn't change through choice. Well I did choose to go with the D750 but I hadn't planned on getting rid of the D610 the way I did).

Not had a chance to use the D750 at all yet but from an ergonomics and build quality point of view I don't go along with what others say. The D750 handles nicely but I didn't have a problem with the D610. For my smallish hands they are both fine. I've read a few comments on here and elsewhere that the D750 is built "miles better" than the D610 but I don't buy that. The battery and port covers/flaps do feel more robust but the rest of the body feels pretty much the same to me. They are both built solidly if you ask me.

FX holds value much better than DX, your D810 will be worth a lot more than £400 in two years. Id say nearer the £1000 mark, probably more. Are you sure you paid that much 2/12 yrs ago for the D7k, they were at £600 in Dec 12.

It might have been in the January of that year, I can't really remember. It might even be three years as I know it's been to Europe with me three times on motorcycling trips. I do know that I got in a high street shop that was exactly the same price as I could find anywhere on the internet (grey's aside) and I have found the same thing with my D810 that I bought yesterday.

Well the deeds done :banana:

My new D750 arrives Tuesady 6th from Jessops the day i return to work.....Tomorrow will drag :grumpy:

I get to keep the D7000 which is a bonus :)

Last edited:
It landed today at 9.00 and it's Freekin brilliant :)
The only concern i had before actually getting my hands on it was the tilty screen but it's really useful so win win.
I love the display as it's so clear to see and the top display is so easy to read.
Assigned bbf and started shooting, I took a picture indoors at iso 4000 and it looked like 100 :eek: It's amazing :banana:

Going to try and save up and get one.
:(

Brought mine Body only to keep the cost down from Jessops, I still can't bring myself to purchase a camera or lens from the Grey. Not saying there no good and there are some happy shoppers on here with good buys it's just my preferance.

Good luck with your future purchase ;)

Sounds like you are covered lens wise but what do you photograph? I found the D7100 to be an improvement over the D7000 especially AF. I've since moved to a D800 which is good, I'm liking fx but you do have to remember your lenses get 'shorter' (equiv field of view changes). The D7100 is a very good camera and it is the best crop out there. It's easy to use a right angle viewfinder to make low shots easy to get. I thought of a d610 but I really see it as a fixed d600 but the small AF coverage at 39 point wasn't as good as I would like for wildlife. The d750 was released a few weeks after I got my D800 and it does look ideal for wildlife. After purchasing the d7100 soon after the release I wouldn't buy so soon again and instead wait for the price to drop a little. If you could wait until the january/February/March the d750 may have dropped a little. The d7100 will soon be a bargain like the d7000 when the d7100 was released. The grip offer is a good offer if you wanted a grip too. If you are happy with dx then the d7100 will be pretty good. There is no real need to move to fx as dx is pretty good. It will be interesting to see if nikon follow nikon with competition for the 7d2.

I pretty much agree with this. I've owned a D7100 and found it to be a really wonderful sharp image taker. I have just gone over to full frame because of the increased sensor size and now saving like mad to upgrade my lenses as my DX are no good! It's d difficult one. I think I would probably go for a full frame camera, just becuase the sensor is bigger and the photosites are able to cope better. There is lots to read up on the benefits of full frame on the net so it's probably worth reading before buying.

Luckily i had ff glass for the most part.
One thing that did startle me was when i popped on my 18-105 kit lens and the view finder shows the cropped image you will get, Smaller than i had anticipated.

So next is either the 14-24 or the 24-70 f2.8 but must save up as they appear to be quite pricey :eek:

Back