D90 Focus speed

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I am considering a D90 as a second body, but was wondering how the focus speed compares with a D300 - especially with a 300mm F2.8 AF-S lens. I know they use different autofocus processors and the D90 will be slower - they question is, how much slower?

Also can anyone give a view as to the focus speed compared with a D100?

Cheers
Pete

There are no figures for "how much slower", nobody publishes them and nobody as far as I know has unofficially measures them.

The D90 is supposed to be "quite fast" but nothing out there yet functions as well as the 51 point AF system the D300/D700/D3/D3x has - that is top of the game.

Pete,......... if this is for the Loop, not sure I'd risk it over the D300, when AF is the big thing there.
D300 and your Nikon 300 f2.8 is a stunning combo for the loop.

It really depends on the prime use you intend for the Camera

Give me a shout when your there next, and I'll bring one of my spare D300 bodies for you to try there for the day.

Give me a shout when your there next, and I'll bring one of my spare D300 bodies for you to try there for the day.
Hi Martin,
I will be up CAD West tomorrow and Friday, as despite the fact it is absolutely chucking it down in Birmingham, the forecast for Dolgellau looks reasonable for the next 2 days.

Thanks for the generous offer. Look forward to seeing you if you are going to be there too.

Cheers
Pete

Sorry to go off topic but I'll see you up there tomorrow Pete (y)

Pete,.... I'm trying to get there tomorrow, should make it (CadWest), weather will be OK there tomorrow, Todays weather up to 4" rain for us, not seen a drop ????

I'll bring a spare D300 :)

The D90 is not D300/700 class AF wise but for the price it performs very well. It's really subjective ... if you want the best you'd need to spend a lot more. I find it acceptable for wildlife shooting. Main problem I have is the different button placement and menu lay out to the D300 and D700 I previously had. Should have stuck to the D300 as a back up! Simpler to go from one to the other.

Back