Dad

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
We had Mum and Dad around for tea on Saturday night (To watch the dance final). Anyhow in the break between the results show I asked Dad if he would let me take some photos.
I had posted 1 on here of myself last week titled "Mugshot". My Dad happened to have a shirt on under his jumper so thought it maybe nice to do one of him in the same way. He seemed to enjoy having his photo taken which is good as he sometimes feels a bit left out at family gatherings (amongst other things his hearing is not as good as it once was).
Would be good to get some feedback on these. I do like them but obviously it is my dad so I am biased. I think I should say I didn't want the images to be really really gritty as that seems to be the normal way older men are portrayed, hope that makes sense :-(

Gaz
Dad_head_tilt.jpg

Smile_dad_straight.jpg

Smiler_dad.jpg

Dad_close.jpg

5 Mugshot
mugshot.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely shots never saw your mug shot but I like your dads. (y)

Lovely shots and thank you for sharing. Your dad looks bright, witty, intelligent and kind but no 1 is the stand out for me. If these were mine I'd really treasure them. I love the mono conversions. Nice work.

I love these. Makes me miss my own Dad. Really made me smile. Thanks for sharing these Gary! :)

I absolutely love these Gary, the expressions, eye contact and conversion to mono.

Each photo seem to give a different aspect of his personality, I like them all.

Well first off let me say I am astounded by the number of comments on these and really humbled, very chuffed too. I didnt expect that at all. So a great start to my day :)
Great shots. 1st and 2nd especially.
I wish I was into photography when my Dad was around and captured him like that. Well done.
Thank you very much Duncan.
Love it, great shots
Cheers :)
Fantastic set Gaz, 2, 3 & 4 are brilliant. #4 is a standout for me here, closely followed by 3.

You da man innit!
Ha Ha :) Cheers David. Many thanks for the support ;-)
Lovely shots never saw your mug shot but I like your dads. (y)
Many Thanks Carol. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mugshot.571467/ other photo of myself.
Lovely shots and thank you for sharing. Your dad looks bright, witty, intelligent and kind but no 1 is the stand out for me. If these were mine I'd really treasure them. I love the mono conversions. Nice work.
Hi Sara. Thats a lovely thing to say.Thanks !

I love these. Makes me miss my own Dad. Really made me smile. Thanks for sharing these Gary! :)
Cheers Bethy. Glad they made you smile and your comments along with the others are making me really stop and think about what it is I captured. At the time I was just trying to light my Dad and have some interaction as I tend to go quiet and just shoot.
I absolutely love these Gary, the expressions, eye contact and conversion to mono.
Thanks Nick. Glad the mono works ok.
Each photo seem to give a different aspect of his personality, I like them all.
Very kind Fabien. Thank you.
4th one by a country mile for me. That's a lovely shot.

Shaheed
:) I did think of your good self when uploading that one. Glad you liked it and thank you for your recent feedback and help on taking better images.
Cracking set 3 and 4 stand out to me
Cheers Alan, very kind.
Superb set Gary, that big smile on your Dads face says it all.
Cheers Chris.

Gaz

#4 gets my vote from a wonderful set (y)
The eye contact in all of them really draws the viewer in to see your Dads character.

Again, fantastic work, I hope you've had them printed, it would be a shame not to.

#4 gets my vote from a wonderful set (y)
The eye contact in all of them really draws the viewer in to see your Dads character.

Again, fantastic work, I hope you've had them printed, it would be a shame not to.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes I will be getting some printed.

Gaz

Course.
It was a small softbox (gamilight 43) just out of frame above Dads head with speedlight attached and a silver reflector just out of frame below chest held by Mum.

Gaz

Course.
It was a small softbox (gamilight 43) just out of frame above Dads head with speedlight attached and a silver reflector just out of frame below chest held by Mum.

Gaz

Simple yet very effective

:) That about sums my level. On a side note I do love that little softbox.

Gaz

Not at all, you've achieved fantastic results here Gaz.
I have just been looking at amazon for that little softbox ;)

Love these, well done and Merry Christmas.

Thanks Ben_Paul_Kris_Gary_Giovanni and Dade.

Merry Christmas all :)

Gaz

No 1 definitely. Technically it is sharp and well-lit but it's strength is in the character of your Dad. The picture shows him to be human, less posed. The open shirt shows him to be natural and happy with his looks whereas the others with the top button done up seem to imply some kind of defensiveness perhaps even emphasising that he is no longer a spring chicken and even, may I say it, old.

The 1st picture makes him young again...and relevant to today; the others put him in an old folks home. Not being rude here, heaven forbid, just the way the pictures appear to me.

Have you asked him? I hope he says number 1.

Good work on them all though.

PS No 5 as a pose is just awful though. Lighting is similar but your description is most apt -- mugshot!

:)

No 1 definitely. Technically it is sharp and well-lit but it's strength is in the character of your Dad. The picture shows him to be human, less posed. The open shirt shows him to be natural and happy with his looks whereas the others with the top button done up seem to imply some kind of defensiveness perhaps even emphasising that he is no longer a spring chicken and even, may I say it, old.

The 1st picture makes him young again...and relevant to today; the others put him in an old folks home. Not being rude here, heaven forbid, just the way the pictures appear to me.

Have you asked him? I hope he says number 1.

Good work on them all though.

PS No 5 as a pose is just awful though. Lighting is similar but your description is most apt -- mugshot!

:)
Cheers Martin.
Really like your observations and feedback of the images. This is something I am not yet able to do with most images I generaly still tend to like or dislike images yet not know why.Something I really need to work on. Glad you liked the first one so much and say it made Dad look young again but would have thought the big smiling faces in 2 and 3 would have overiden the old folks home feeling & ( I am not taking that comment in a bad way it's fine like I say I am glad to get the feedback :)
RE : The button up collar as I posted further up the thread. I had asked him to take the jumper off and buttonup the neck and lift the collar up a touch so I could take a mugshot the same as I had done the previous week of myself. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mugshot.571467/ After taking the mugshot photo I put the collar down and took some more photos.
We had Dad around yesterday along with all the family he seemd to like them all but not sure if he had a fav as it was so busy at ours.
To be honest we took loads and I am betting there were many more that he may like over these :)

Many Thanks.
Gaz

What a great set of images. I don't know your father but I feel you've shared a part of him with us.

What mono conversion do you use? The quality seems to jump out at me. My favourite? #4 - purely from the use of a full on close up face composition and yet with minimal DoF.

Last edited:
Back