Critique Damned River Clyde. It won't be still for me.

But its a river ;)
I still think you've got some nice reflections there though. #1 for reflections, #2 for a photo as a who!e. Good stuff!

Don't stress Steve. It's just being independent.

Oops!

Edited to add something more sensible: I actually don't mind the ripples but the only thing I'd say is the highlights are very "high" in shot 2. Definitely stretching the dynamic range to the max for me.

I love seeing the mirror like reflection from there but you need to take what you can at times. You will get the image you want- and it will be all the more special because it took so long.

I'm taking my daughter at some point as she is doing some night time photography for her school higher class.

I love seeing the mirror like reflection from there but you need to take what you can at times. You will get the image you want- and it will be all the more special because it took so long.

I'm taking my daughter at some point as she is doing some night time photography for her school higher class.

I've got a few but all down the science centre/BBC way. I haven't got any really nice blue hour ones of the Arc and Squigly bridge. It will happen, I cannot wait to get them.

You obviously need to pick a day with no wind, but you also have to deal with the tide times. Look up the tide times for the area and pick a period of slack water when the flow direction is changing from high to low, these periods change everyday. The trick is to pick a period of slack water, when the light is at the right level and there is no wind. It can normally take a few goes to get it right with all those variables.

Reactions: ST4
I do like the squinty bridge

River Clyde paying you back for all the nasty things you say about Scotland :p

I can appreciate how lucky I was with the reflections on my brief visit there in June.

River Clyde paying you back for all the nasty things you say about Scotland :p

I can appreciate how lucky I was with the reflections on my brief visit there in June.

You haven't even seen my facebook. As it were, @daugirdas is on the song, the tides are the trick to it, but any wind and the effect is lost. So you need, a good clearish day, no wind and the tides. Back to the web to plan this out.

That bad huh?
I hope the river clyde never stays still for you again :p

Are you going to take a speed boat down there at 138mph just as I am setting up my tripod just to hack me off....

Some stupid c*** did that in Rome yesterday taking tourists on a jolly down the Tiber, ruining an image I had lined up. Its ok though, I have many still water ones and there was fewer dog walkers. I might just p aff from Glasgow. I hate it more than I hate dogs.

Went out last night at the turn of the tide but wind was high so knew it wouldnt be great . My daughter is studying " higher" photography and she wanted a few pics with strong leading lines. Bloody rained from getting out the car till we were home again..

See the top one, 5 mins after high tide, only 5mph winds. Shot is f*cked IMHO. I need a few decent ones to fill up my Glasgow cityscapes galleries.

lol....A slight ripple around 9.45pm last night but by 10.15pm it was looking good.

I'm ideally looking for a blue hour shoot with it dead calm.

I've got a still Clyde arc but all at night, not blue hour. I know I am chasing an obvious image and there is zero creativity in that, but they do sell and it could make me money. Plus, I just want it...

Here's my night one

_DSC0383 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I've cut the edge of the bridge support off, I probably need to be a few paces closer to the bridge with a less severe angle. Ensuring you get all the bridge in, with some space to breathe IMHO is critical. I know with blue hour, and a bit more light so I can see what I am doing, I can do better, so I must...

A blue hour here would be nice too

_DSC0391 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I've got loads up the science centre, BBC studio way so I am ok there.

I just am a perfectionist. I will never reach the standard I aim to be at, but I will give it my best. Light and conditions are everything, if I can get myself there in the right light at the right time, I can do pretty cool things.

A sky like this at blue hour on the Arc would be great

_DSC0892 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Back