Dark Beauty Redux with new flash diffuser...

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
IMG_6709_lzn by ahs1599, on Flickr

Canon t2i and a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens with a canon 600 series flash with a home made ring diffuser made of cardboard, foil, duct tape and a round white plastic container to surround the lens. Here is the photographic breakdown:

flash diffuser side view by ahs1599, on Flickr

I was getting a lot of light back into the lens, so the cardboard tube on the right goes over the end of the lens and helps a great deal with this problem - aluminum around the tube keeps the light evenly distributed and the black paint inside all work to good effect.

flash diffuser down the barrel by ahs1599, on Flickr

flash diffuser assembled side view by ahs1599, on Flickr

The end result flash...

mirror flash by ahs1599, on Flickr

Last edited:
Light still a little harsh especially on the shiny bits of the spider.... such a weird looking beast

But a very heath robinson setup :)... maybe add some tissue paper at the end of the tube prior to the cup or packaging sleeve to soften the light a little.

Fantastic! A very effective ring light by the looks of things. A couple of suggestions I would make are that you seem to be losing a little bit of contrast and I would guess this is becuase some of the light is bouncing around and going back into the lens from the diffuser. It looks like you might already have though of this as you seem to have a mini hood around the lens, but maybe this just needs extending a bit. The other issue refers back to what @Tintin124 was saying. You could diffuse the light further, but I don't think adding tissue to the prior to the cup will make much difference. It may restrict the light hitting the cup but the effect from the ring will still be the same. If you could find a way to attach tissue around the end of the cup, without obscuring the lens then I suspect you would get a better result!
Great work though! A very simple and cost effective ringflash :)

Back