Beginner Day out portrait.

+1 on the cropped image. But the original was a fine shot, made better by homing in on the young lady.

Chuck

Great, natural portrait, with an interesting angle. I prefer the cropped image, but both are impressive.
I sat down the hill a bit and got low, glad I did, otherwise the bubble would have obscured them.
The little boy in the red is his son running off to destroy the bubbles as they fly away.
+1 on the cropped image. But the original was a fine shot, made better by homing in on the young lady.

Chuck
Thanks man. He prefers the full shot himself, I just preferred the crop from a technical point.

looks a little soft - focus wise to me! The hair in the crop is definitely not sharp...

maybe a smaller aperture - faster shutter speed would have helped

Les

Great capture Ben. Expression is fab :)

Nice to hear what the parents liked, as like you I would be thinking a less cluttered background would be better. When the parents don't even notice the other stuff we get hung up about. I find that it is a fun sucker with learning photography we get to serious about it all and loose the ability to just take photos and enjoy them.

Gaz

Great capture Ben. Expression is fab :)

Nice to hear what the parents liked, as like you I would be thinking a less cluttered background would be better. When the parents don't even notice the other stuff we get hung up about. I find that it is a fun sucker with learning photography we get to serious about it all and loose the ability to just take photos and enjoy them.

Gaz
I did learn how difficult it is to get photos of kids when there is a lot going on haha. With it being my best friend's kids, it was a really good day in general because the kids are fantastic and are very relaxed around me because they see me as part of the family.
I have some other photos that I have to go through from the day too, there was so much worth capturing I probably missed some of the best shots!

Very cool, that really works, apart from the removal of the sticks on the bubble rope. I may crop it again with the sticks and ropes cut out completely.

its good to do some cropping...i nearly always apply

CC

clone and crop...which i did to your shot...

the sharpness is just as hard with a dslr...but get one...you get a better feel of taking the shot with more control...imho
sometimes i think i would like to have a little handy pos...but really being an old user of slr's...i wouldnt feel at home

thanks for accepting that little bit of phun!!...i need practice too..
cheers
geof

its good to do some cropping...i nearly always apply

CC

clone and crop...which i did to your shot...

the sharpness is just as hard with a dslr...but get one...you get a better feel of taking the shot with more control...imho
sometimes i think i would like to have a little handy pos...but really being an old user of slr's...i wouldnt feel at home

thanks for accepting that little bit of phun!!...i need practice too..
cheers
geof
I think single point focus would have really helped in this situation, but then I may have missed this shot because the focus was too quick!

I think single point focus would have really helped in this situation, but then I may have missed this shot because the focus was too quick!

correct me if i am wrong but dont some makes of dslr have up to ...umpteen?...focus points...all looking for faces...
dont worry about any sharpness crits here..your shot isnt for the front cover of life...but part of your life..and a great memory
cheers
philosophical taker of out of focus photographs
:D
geof

correct me if i am wrong but dont some makes of dslr have up to ...umpteen?...focus points...all looking for faces...
dont worry about any sharpness crits here..your shot isnt for the front cover of life...but part of your life..and a great memory
cheers
philosophical taker of out of focus photographs
:D
geof
Haha, it was the face detect that slowed this down when focusing, there were too many faces for the camera to choose from to begin with.

Lilly clay 2 by Ben Gray, on Flickr
This one only had her face to focus on and it did a much better job.

better...apart from the white helmet...she looks just like her dad...:)

what camera were or are you using...i am thinking to go up to an olympus micro 4/3 body with better sensor and greater iso range...
my present body ...camera...is the G1 and the iso range is good but noisy in the higher ones
cheers
geof

better...apart from the white helmet...she looks just like her dad...:)

what camera were or are you using...i am thinking to go up to an olympus micro 4/3 body with better sensor and greater iso range...
my present body ...camera...is the G1 and the iso range is good but noisy in the higher ones
cheers
geof
Haha, fortunately I'm not a dad, it's my best mate's daughter.

These were taken with a Canon sx50hs bridge camera. Getting a Nikon d5xxx kit this weekend and some lenses.

Haha, fortunately I'm not a dad, it's my best mate's daughter.

These were taken with a Canon sx50hs bridge camera. Getting a Nikon d5xxx kit this weekend and some lenses.

dont worry...if you get out of that tin can outfit maybe you can perform a bit better...:D
see how i get personal information from people here...
erm..what was that bank code again...
lafaminit
cheers
geof

ps i am now surfing for the olympus om d e m10 body...mark one or two would dwo

dont worry...if you get out of that tin can outfit maybe you can perform a bit better...:D
see how i get personal information from people here...
erm..what was that bank code again...
lafaminit
cheers
geof

ps i am now surfing for the olympus om d e m10 body...mark one or two would dwo
I'm sure I mentioned it was a friend's daughter earlier on in the thread lol
I blame the helmet for any photos that come out bad...

I'm sure I mentioned it was a friend's daughter earlier on in the thread lol
I blame the helmet for any photos that come out bad...

we men all have one...well not us kashrut fellows...;)

Back