Critique Daybreak at All Saints

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
This morning as the day dawn I headed to All Saint's in Sherbourne on the outskirts of Warwick, it was a lovely crisp morning thought it was a little disapointing because of the complete lack of cloud, I really wanted the forecast cloud levels...weird for me as being a star chaser I'm normally desperate for no cloud but really wanted a little bit this morning...

Some details of the church, Fascinating church built by Miss Louisa Ann Ryland 1862/4 and designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott RA, an eminent Victorian architect of the day. Features include marble columns with carved capitals by Farmer of London, stained glass windows by Clayton and Bell, a tabletomb designed by Augustus Pugin and a memorial to Henry Eric Maudslay D.F.C. killed in the attack on Mohive Dam (Dambusters) in 1943

All Saint's Church, Sherbourne, Warwickshire at Dawn
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my photos, comments and critique are welcomed and appreciated

Matt

For me it's a pleasant image but it's lacking something.

I'm looking on my iPhone, but overall is seems a little dark. You have no blown highlights in the bright corner, which is good. But the foreground is dark.

You have converging verticals, typical of a wide angle lens, and easy to fix in PP.

I think there is potential here, but it needs to be brighter and some more punch, more contrast / clarity.

Hope this helps!

For me it's a pleasant image but it's lacking something.

I'm looking on my iPhone, but overall is seems a little dark. You have no blown highlights in the bright corner, which is good. But the foreground is dark.

You have converging verticals, typical of a wide angle lens, and easy to fix in PP.

I think there is potential here, but it needs to be brighter and some more punch, more contrast / clarity.

Hope this helps!

Hi Alan, I agree it's lacking something, the light just wasn't perfect this morning, in fact I was somewhat disappointed as the forecast was for in the region of 30% cloud cover so should have been perfect, but not long before first light it just started to disperse

It's cartainly not under exposed, I only did a calibration yesterday (y)

I agree there's some lens distortion especially so on the corners but even on the church I have partially corrected it however I felt going any further on the correction left it looking a little odd...But that's down to personal preference I find it better to leave correction levels to each subject rather than to take all distortion out unilaterally...

Happy to see an edit for more punch/clarity however I fear going much further risks leaving it with an unnatural look

Edit: just to add just looked at it on my iphone and it looks a little darker on there so it maybe an iPhone issue ;) as I said I know on my calibrated display its near as damn it spot on

Last edited:
Hi Mathew, it is indeed a very pleasant image with lots of interest, always great being out in the morning for sunrise no place better especially knowing so many are missing out ;) love the light hitting the tower LHS and the shadows from the grave stones foreground, ps not sure if sun is above horizon/after sunrise about 08:00 ? what time was original captured ? as those highlights do appear very strong to my eye, PS I love how you have captured the grave stone RHS with the entrance roof leaning, perfect, I take it was an ultra wide angle ? does look a little cluttered if you catch my drift, thank you for sharing
Kevin

Last edited:
Hi Mathew, it is indeed a very pleasant image with lots of interest, always great being out in the morning for sunrise no place better especially knowing so many are missing out ;) love the light hitting the tower LHS and the shadows from the grave stones foreground, ps not sure if sun is above horizon/after sunrise about 08:00 ? what time was original captured ? as those highlights do appear very strong to my eye, PS I love how you have captured the grave stone RHS with the entrance roof leaning, perfect, I take it was an ultra wide angle ? does look a little cluttered if you catch my drift, thank you for sharing
Kevin

Hi Kevin, exif says it was 8:36am this morning so I'm going to say it was actually more like 7:36am so roughly 15 minutes before the sun actually broke over the horizon ;) I just haven't updated the time on the camera a consequence of it not being used properly for so long :(

It is indeed an UWA it's the Samyang 14/2.8

I'll be honest and say I hadn't picked up on how the grave stone fitted perfectly on the gateway, I primaraly composed to put the trees either side of the entrance to the church and almost have the grave stones lead you up to the gate, kind of get what you mean about clutter though, it's s rather full grave yard :LOL:

Interesting shadows being cast from them stones if it was 15mins before, going from my experience shadows like that are cast from the sun once above the horizon? ps I'm no expert.

Interesting shadows being cast from them stones if it was 15mins before, going from my experience shadows like that are cast from the sun once above the horizon? ps I'm no expert.

No idea truth be told but I do know that the sunrise this morning was supposed to be at 7:59am for my area, and this was shot just before that time, I also know I watched the sun rise a few minutes after taking this as I'd by that time given up on any cloud appearing :LOL:

Indeed cloud does help for sure and it was the same here all day, cloudless :(

Normally I long for completely cloudless skies but this morning I wanted the forecast slight cloud cover :bang:

I wonder why you long for cloudless skys ;) bid fan of you light trails, you are the main man.

:LOL: thank you, got a long list of star trail locations I want to shoot but need the clear skies to do it, so rare actually to get 2 plus hours of completely cloudless nights :(

Back