Critique Definition of a Baboon.

Hey :) I think this does work and both look good! But I think the original looks better. I think the second looks more like a desktop wallpaper or something. Hope this helps :D

Hey :) I think this does work and both look good! But I think the original looks better. I think the second looks more like a desktop wallpaper or something. Hope this helps :D

Thanks. And yes, I know what you mean.
Someone on another forum said it looked like it could be on a commemorative postage stamp or something like that.
Cheers

Craig you keep messing with your ideas & let's see them (y)

I can imagine your edit would be just the job in certain circumstances - like brochures, adverts & such - so good for a designers portfolio :clap:

agree with the above and both look good.
The second one kind of has the charity feel for it for me, like sponsor a baboon as they are endangered sort of thing lol making it look tired and exhausted for the sympathy vote (if that makes sense)
Both really nice images though

Loose the text. It's cheesy... even the font is cheesy. The original is a really nice portrait/typology of the ape, with a great colour palette, it's a strong shot. The text just makes it look amateurish and a bit of a lash up by someone with no sense of design.

[edit] My usual no nonsense writing style possibly made it sound like I'm saying you have no innate sense of design... I mean that version of the shot makes it look like that. I've no idea what sense of design you have.

Last edited:
I love the "Definition" edit, looks like an etching on the cover of something like "Origin of Species" ...
the only bit I don't like, ironically, is the title.

Craig you keep messing with your ideas & let's see them (y)

I can imagine your edit would be just the job in certain circumstances - like brochures, adverts & such - so good for a designers portfolio :clap:

Thank you. :)

agree with the above and both look good.
The second one kind of has the charity feel for it for me, like sponsor a baboon as they are endangered sort of thing lol making it look tired and exhausted for the sympathy vote (if that makes sense)
Both really nice images though

Again, possibly my thinking...they are certainly endangered which is why they are at the Wildlife Park that we go to.
I just like playing aout with stuff, see where it leads.

Loose the text. It's cheesy... even the font is cheesy. The original is a really nice portrait/typology of the ape, with a great colour palette, it's a strong shot. The text just makes it look amateurish and a bit of a lash up by someone with no sense of design.

[edit] My usual no nonsense writing style possibly made it sound like I'm saying you have no innate sense of design... I mean that version of the shot makes it look like that. I've no idea what sense of design you have.

Maybe I don't. But I do like messing around with stuff and see what sticks. This one has stuck more than it has slipped, so pretty succesful for the edit, really. I can't do things that everyone will like, and it is certainly difficult to do unique and individual things all the time. So, I continue to play, do things that please me, and if other like it, all the better. :)

I love the "Definition" edit, looks like an etching on the cover of something like "Origin of Species" ...
the only bit I don't like, ironically, is the title.

The title? "Definition of a Baboon"? That's only a thread title...the image doesn't really have one. :)

I like both to be fair, a nice detail shot and I like what you've done with the 2nd, I can see it has a place somewhere, though 1st is my preference.

Great images, but I like what the processing has done to the texture of his fur and skin. I would lose the text on the edit. You should remove it anyway from HIS bottom left shoulder/ chest area...

I like both to be fair, a nice detail shot and I like what you've done with the 2nd, I can see it has a place somewhere, though 1st is my preference.

Great images, but I like what the processing has done to the texture of his fur and skin. I would lose the text on the edit. You should remove it anyway from HIS bottom left shoulder/ chest area...

The text WAS the edit, however, so losing that defeats the purpose of the edit. Agree about the shoulder...:)

Hi there ... just spotted your thread....I really like the edited version....the straight shot is good, but for a creative shot I think the second one is really eye catching. I know what you mean about 'messing around with stuff' that's what makes this thread interesting.... seeing everyone have a go at something different. I like the choice of wording and the title...a happy viewer :)

Hi there ... just spotted your thread....I really like the edited version....the straight shot is good, but for a creative shot I think the second one is really eye catching. I know what you mean about 'messing around with stuff' that's what makes this thread interesting.... seeing everyone have a go at something different. I like the choice of wording and the title...a happy viewer :)

Back