Wild Den's Kingfishers

Hi Den, first shot I was a little distracted by the branch on the left however the 3rd and especially the second are very good. I'm quite partial to the pose struck in number 2 myself as well and the shadow doesn't really bother me.

Forgot to mention the lighting in number 2 is better from a personal viewpoint, it seems a bit flat in the first however that's more than likely due to the weather which is out of our control.

Last edited:
Hi Den, first shot I was a little distracted by the branch on the left however the 3rd and especially the second are very good. I'm quite partial to the pose struck in number 2 myself as well and the shadow doesn't really bother me.
Comment appreciated ,Thanks

Always love seeing these birds, 2nd looks a tad over-saturated on my laptop whereas the other two look spot-on, hard to choose between 1st and last for me, both great shots :)

Hi Gramps ,that's one slider I have never touched when photographing Kingfishers ,all my kingfisher shots have not had saturation added in PP at all they are as the they came out of camera ,maximum 25 vibrancy ,it would be nice to show people just exactly how the come out as a raw image but I don't know how to do it ,ie post a unprocessed raw kingfisher shot ,plus different light at different times of the day produce so many different shades and colours on the birds ,in the area I get my kingfishers I always say (to friends who come down and get shots ) that any time after 11.00 am if the sun is out is not good for photographing the birds ,if I haven't got my shots by 11.00am I pack up

Well done Den, those are stunning images, even more so without any post processing adjustments.
9 out of 10 of my shots these days need adjustment

You are obviously putting the time in an enjoying your photography and fieldcraft and it certainly shows in your results which rank up there with the best

Lovely photos Den. I guess they are still feeding the young'uns with the fish pointing the way they are.

For me too, the perch you have in the second two is much better. Framing similar on both those two but to see the lovely golden/orange breast in 2 is stunning.

As you say, watching these in different light they can look very different, even to the naked eye. Like a different bird if not for their tell tale flight and calls.

Hi Gramps ,that's one slider I have never touched when photographing Kingfishers ,all my kingfisher shots have not had saturation added in PP at all they are as the they came out of camera ,maximum 25 vibrancy ,it would be nice to show people just exactly how the come out as a raw image but I don't know how to do it ,ie post a unprocessed raw kingfisher shot ,plus different light at different times of the day produce so many different shades and colours on the birds ,in the area I get my kingfishers I always say (to friends who come down and get shots ) that any time after 11.00 am if the sun is out is not good for photographing the birds ,if I haven't got my shots by 11.00am I pack up

Fair do's Den, looking at the photos is only half of the story :)

Lovely photos Den. I guess they are still feeding the young'uns with the fish pointing the way they are.

For me too, the perch you have in the second two is much better. Framing similar on both those two but to see the lovely golden/orange breast in 2 is stunning.

As you say, watching these in different light they can look very different, even to the naked eye. Like a different bird if not for their tell tale flight and calls.
Hi,thanks for the comment,yes they are feeding young ,i may try and change the perch this weekend if i get time,its nice to have a choice of subject to chhose from,but i just cant resist getting kingfisher shots

After spending a bit of time on the river at the weekend I found one of the birds was very happy fishing nearby to a perch I put up, it was bringing the fish back to the perch and stunning the fish on the thick end of the perch ,today after putting a thick perch up he decided the rock nearby was the place today ,anyway he did land eventually but minus the fish View attachment 11869PS just noticed the dust spot to the left

Last edited:
Two lovely shots again there Den, even with the dust spot!

What aspect ratio have you got there, is it 7x5? I'm thinking 6x4 may have looked better to trim a sliver of green off the top?

Thanks forthe input regarding the image ratio,as fot the dust spot it amazes me how i missed it in PP but as soon as i looked at it when posted i was imediately drawn towards it .

Last edited:
That's bad news is that Jason, I bet they weren't far off leaving the nest , I check everyday and its my worst thought when we get heavy constant rain,they still have time for another brood
Sorry I meant the river, don't know about the nest

Hi sorry , I took it when you said flooded you automatically meant the nest had gone (due to flooding as it is one of the major problems )

cracker den

Dennis got to say that is a corker of an image. Lovely to see.

Not long now before the young fledge so I am making the most of my visits , a early start as rain was forecast for around 10.30 and for once they got it right ,I replaced the perch for a thick mossy one after my success earlier when the birds were bringing the fish to stun on the thicker perch,personaly I like a thinner perch but only the male did today but no chance of a decent shutter speed to capture a good stun.View attachment 12235 View attachment 12236 View attachment 12237

Last edited:
I like this perch Den, looks more natural with the moss on.

All 3 are crackers but I really like everything about the first shot.

I like them all Den but the first one with the perch at an angle and the square crop stands out for me.

Gaz

Superb photos, lovely clean background and crisp bird. Can't chose between 1 and 2 for my favourites

Back