Derbyshire Mountain Hares

How close were you? They don't seem very bothered by having a photographer around.

How close were you? They don't seem very bothered by having a photographer around.
Thanks for the comments chaps, the Hares were about 15-20 feet away Andrew, these were the only two I got near the rest scarped at the slightest sound, on the day I saw 12 Hares, most at a distance and nearly trod on one, it frightened me to death, I was on the moors about an hour before high winds and rain forced me off, I managed to get these while the sun shone, I used a 300mm f2.8 Sigma and 1.4 teleconverter with it :)

Cracking Ian,j just missed out last year as I was a bit late going ,must make a point this year of spending some time up their as your shots from last year were brilliant

Many thanks for the comments :)
I've cropped the first shot to show more detail, although the full shot shows the Hares habitat, I think the cropped version is better my self :)

Prefer the edit ... great opportunity well taken, amazed you got so close :)

The cropped version is a photo I'd be happy to call my own.

Where in Derbyshire did you find them?

Super pictures. Great detail.

Thank you for all your kind comments, for Simon and Billy the pictures were taken at Bleaklow on the moors, near the top of Snake Pass, make sure you kitted out in the right gear if you venture up there, the weather changes very rapidly, the day I took the shots above, I had to turn back because of very high winds, even though the sun was out, rain and mist are other concerns as they come on very fast in the exposed area, you are better not going alone onto the moors, you can not depend on your phone as you loose signal in lots of places, there are no proper footpaths near the Hares only tracks so be careful :)

just to mirror wanilsons comments....if you are going be careful .I go up there a lot and the weather changes very quickly, sunny one minute and the 15 minutes later thick mist .
I thought I knew my way around but one day when the mist came in I was hopelessly lost..only by chance stumbled on a path I knew
beautiful place in nice weather best not go alone and tell someone where you are going

Back