Derry/Londonderry Peace Bridge

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Both our boys had appointments in a hospital a fair bit from home (for me anyway because of my back problems) so we stayed overnight in the Maiden City. Because were we were staying overlooked the Peace Bridge I was glad I brought the 6D with me. I didn't have a tripod - I really need to look about a small travel version so had to hand hold for the first image taken from one of the suites on the 6th floor of the City Hotel.

f/4, 1/4 Sec Exposure, ISO-3200 and at 24mm

Peace Bridge from the 6th floor of the City Hotel, Derry
by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

I then headed down to ground level and used a metal railing to take a photograph from that perspective. The camera body was on the rail although the lens was hanging over the edge so I was trying to hold the camera as steady as I possibly could.

f/4, 2 Sec Exposure, ISO-160 and at 24mm

Peace Bridge from outside the City Hotel, Derry

f/11, 5 Sec Exposure, ISO-125 and at 50mm

Peace Bridge from outside the City Hotel, Derry

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Stevie

The biggest improvement that could be made to these would be shooting much earlier while there is still a hint of colour in sky, often called the blue hour, this is basically from sunset to about an hour past sunset and that residual daylight will dramatically change the look of these images, on these my only real improvement that I can suggest would be to pull back the highlights a little if you shot RAW as some of the brighter spots are a little over powering..also on the first it's really in desperate need of CCW rotation...it a interesting subject/location and I'm confident getting there earlier would really help you get the most out of it (y)

Thanks very much for the comments - all were shot in RAW so that type of adjustments can be made. When you say rotating CCW, how far would you go, obviously the bridge is bendy and to my eye the horizon should be level. To be honest I was tucking into a rather fantastic steak when the sun set!

Thanks

Stevie

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the comments - all were shot in RAW so that type of adjustments can be made. When you say rotating CCW, how far would you go, obviously the bridge is bendy and to my eye the horizon should be level. To be honest I was tucking into a rather fantastic steak when the sun set!

Thanks

Stevie

Hard to say with out physically checking but guess would be somewhere in the region of 1-1.5 degrees, steak sounds like a good meal not to miss, I'd say wait till your having something crap for dinner and then skip that ;)

The third of the three is a very good image, well done (y)

Back