Digital B&W encouragement.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to recover my enthusiasm for digital photography (or photography in general), I had to choose what cameras to take on a holiday to the Suffolk coast.
For a change, I dug out my (modified full spectrum) Oly E-PL1, this being that last camera that I really enjoyed using. Along for the ride was my 35mm film camera and my digital compact cam, neither of which got much use as the conditions were just right for IR with the Oly.
In past IR sessions, I recall that the final image quality used to be slightly lacking, so this time, all was shot in RAW.

I had a great time. A visit to Orford Ness proved to be fun with it's stark contrasts in buildings and surroundings. It's a pity that much of the site is not open to regular visitors.

Here's a few from that trip.

AntiBlast.jpg

Roofless.jpg

BlackTower.jpg

Window-1.jpg

Tuesday Rochester.jpg

Last edited:
I like the window and the tiller (is that right?) images, mind you I like infrared and monochrome:)

I like the window and the tiller (is that right?) images, mind you I like infrared and monochrome:)
Thanks... I was really excited to see the remains of the ship.. It's almost a perfect subject. I hope to spend a little more time processing some other images of that subject.
I tried to find a little more detail about the remains of "Tuesday Rochester". So as not to appear as a numpty, I asked a boating type what the name of the board is that holds the tiller and bears the name. It's a Transom. His opinion (without seeing it) is that it is a Thames barge. The name is "Tuesday" from the Rochester boat builders.

I couldn't drill down to the age, but found reference to an oil painting of the Thames barge "Tuesday", one of a fleet of barges named after each day of the week. The descriptive text says that it was in service until 1938 when it was converted to a house boat. I don't know how long it served as a house boat, but my guess is that these remains have been there longer than 70-80yrs, so maybe this isn't the same boat.

Last edited:
A closer shot of "Tuesday" (Should have caught the top of the rudder post....)

Tuesday2sm.jpg

His opinion (without seeing it) is that it is a Thames barge.
The Thames barge "Vigilant" has been gently rotting on Topsham Quay in South Devon for some years now.

There are occasional efforts to get its restoration under way but they never seem to come to much. It's a pity because I read a book about these vessels years ago and they were important boats in their day. Here's the stern to compare with your transom...

Vigilant Thames Barge beeched at Topsham Quay GH2 P1320232.JPG

A closer shot of "Tuesday" (Should have caught the top of the rudder post....)

This is a big problem for me..... even when I can see the screen (couldn't on that day), I don't really "see" the image properly. For that I need a VF camera. I recently dug out my old Olmypus E420 4/3 DSLR, another of the cameras that I enjoyed using. Having that complete view is something that helps. I can use that camera again, but as a (very) slight advance in tech, I bought a Samsung NX11 which has an electronic VF (hey! they're cheap). This will go with a couple of NX lenses I have acquired to make a nice, but dated outfit.

The Thames barge "Vigilant" has been gently rotting on Topsham Quay in South Devon for some years now.

There are occasional efforts to get its restoration under way but they never seem to come to much. It's a pity because I read a book about these vessels years ago and they were important boats in their day. Here's the stern to compare with your transom...

View attachment 361046
The layout of the rear is the same, even the naming convention used. Thanks, nice to see a comparison.

Did you look for the shots in colour and think this is perfect for bnw or did you have the viewfinder in bnw

Did you look for the shots in colour and think this is perfect for bnw or did you have the viewfinder in bnw
I found that I get a better representation of the scene by setting B&W (it's a modified camera, so colour images are "different" and not to everyone's taste).
Although it is set to B&W, the RAW image remains in colour, so when processing it has some flexibility. I now set it to B&W jpg + RAW. The RAW is always colour. I may use this arrangement in other cameras when wanting a B&W image (gets both and I see a B&W image on playback).

Last edited:
Back