Dinner Dance Portraits

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent Saturday evening with Kelly [kelack] at her Rubgy Club Dinner dance being the tog for the evening. First time I have ever done anything like this and it was huge fun for the most part. Kelly reassured me they weren't expecting miracles, so I just got busy with the camera. We had set up the studio stuff in the house, but first of all had drinks on the lawn in a very low setting sun, and after dinner, speeches, awards and an hour doing formal portriats, finished with the party. These are just a few of the more formal ones. I am still very muc a learner with all this studio lighting and can see several errors in my approach, but each time I get the kit out, the shots are improving. We had discussed it beforehand and opted for the more formal looking brown background over the white. They are not perfect, I would have liked them without the folds in the fabric but not to be on this occasion. The set up was two heads, each with softboxes, one camera right as the main light ad one further away and left for fill in.

1 - this was taken in the grounds on a tree stump that had been cut out into the shape of a seat. Taken with D300, sigma 24-70 and Nikon SB600 with lightsphere type diffuser

3592263739_94a5ced74b_o.jpg

2 - in the 'studio, a group shot - D300, sigma 27-70

3593071330_055f458347_o.jpg

3- also under the lights, she loved the camera, he hated it ;) D300, sigma 27-70

3593071584_ceb21e97ce_o.jpg

4 - finally a fun shot from earlier in the evening...spotted a togger? YES! :LOL:

3593071076_e26572e7a0_o.jpg

OK Yvonne, some honest critique here, hope that's OK.

#1 - Like this a lot, nice and natural

#2 - Nice, but the guy on the right's face is partially obscured and for some astrange reason I can't see beyond that.

#3 - She looks lovely, he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

#4 - Can't see a #4 :shrug:

But overall I like them and they are better than I can do.

OK Yvonne, some honest critique here, hope that's OK.

#1 - Like this a lot, nice and natural

#2 - Nice, but the guy on the right's face is partially obscured and for some astrange reason I can't see beyond that.

#3 - She looks lovely, he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

#4 - Can't see a #4 :shrug:

But overall I like them and they are better than I can do.

Have to agree with Marc - #1 is lovely. I loved that tree stump, glad the van didn't get in the way.

#3, that's just how he is, Yv should put up the photo of him on his own, it's a good one

I loved them and was very pleased with my ones, very pleased. And people I have been speaking to over the last couple of days say they are great too.

I do have to thank Yv for coming along and putting up with a lot of drunk rugby players and their wags - you see - we had free wine, always a bad move :LOL::LOL:

Course you can hun, I'm not shy. :D:D As you saw on Saturday :LOL:

:LOL: thats true...ok, here it is, my fav couple of the evening and apparently Nan will be very pleased to see this when I send her a print at weekend ;)

3593206032_a0f93cfef8_o.jpg

edit: oh, does this one also come under the official TP criteria for spotted a togger too? :D

2nd edit, and as requested, In His Cups ;)

3593222072_59178dc888_o.jpg

See, THIS as close to relaxing in front of a camera as he gets, honestly! You wouldnt believe he had just been awared two very significant player awards by his club and was also quite literaly well on his way to being 'in his cups' as my own nan used to say about being drunk!

Hi Yv, nice set there hun.. but iv got a couple of bits to add to Marcs..

Other than the lighting issue in No2 the guy on the right is also slightly hidden behind his missus.. not a biggie..

No3, id like this image better as a 3/4 length.. there just seems to be too much space to the right of the lady.

No4, THAT IS NOT ME!!!!! im MUCH better looking.. :nuts:

Lastly, poor Kelly, its a nice image but the BG looks brighter than the subject, so (To me) it appears to be over exposed by 1/2 a stop ish.. :shrug:

What lighting do you have?? just curious.. :)

Thanks Tony, and yes, I agree with most of your points.

The outdoor shots were taken in shadow. The problem I had in pp was that the late sun was shining on the trees in the bckground, really making them 'sparkle' as it were and that was made worse with black clothing on the models. I couldnt help but think there was a colour cast or something wrong....so I masked off the background and suddenly its fine, put it back and it looks odd again :shrug: any suggestions?

edit: sorry, I should be more specific, Kelly and Dan were without flash, #1 was with it.

Back