do i need a filter

Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys

when i was in Torquay last week it was very sunny and i noticed when taking pics i was getting a lot of orange spots from the sun.
would a filter help if so what type, is it a uv filter?

many thanks

UV filters the bleuish UV light. Particualy noticeable on long or mountin land scapes They are more use on film cameras were there is no built in filtering.

Last edited:
There used now for an extra layer of protection to the lens front element.

oh right
i have a lens hood and always put the lens cap back on, tbh im pretty careful with it all as i had to save for some time to get it all, i guess if there isnt any real benefit to to picture quality then i may aswell leave it

The spots are coused by the light from the sun directly striking one or more eliments usualy the front eliment of the lens. The way to avoid it is to make sure the lens is shaded by a lens hood

Last edited:
Do a forum search for 'uv filter' and read any of the big threads.

Given what you've said there is no point in using them whatsoever.

But hey, I think lens caps are generally a waste of time too...

edit: by the way, what you saw was lens flare, this is not resolved by filters but by using a hood to shade the lens OR expensive lenses with ED glass and fancy coatings.

Last edited:
When i was in Torquay last week it was very sunny and i noticed when taking pics i was getting a lot of orange spots from the sun.
would a filter help if so what type, is it a uv filter?

Yes, a UV filter will help you get a lot of orange spots from the Sun. Although why you would want to is beyond me?

If you've already got a lens hood, use it (y)
It will help with the flare and also protect the front element, I have mine attached all the time,
even when inside for that very reason.
Another thing that may help is to make sure the front element is spotlessly clean

Back