Does This Work.????

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Never done a flower shot before so as I bought the wife a dozen red roses today I thought I would try the macro lens on these..:)

Be honest guy's, Is this any good or am I miles out..:thinking:

red-rose.jpg

Like it. The white lily (?) in the back left's maybe slightly distracting but the rose is strong enough to cope with it.

What did you do so bad you needed a dozen red roses for though? :naughty:

dod said:
What did you do so bad you needed a dozen red roses for though? :naughty:

Dunno really mate, Been married 26 years now and I must have had a funny turn this afternoon, Came home with a dozen red roses for her..:thinking:

Message to ones self.... Get a grip..:geek:

You'll only make her suspicious :)

As to the rose..... It kinda looks too well lit to me. Flowers normally have spaces between the petals where its a bit darker and the shadows help define the form - yours doesn't. Course I could be talking rubbish as I've not tried that before either :)

busterboy said:
Message to ones self.... Get a grip..:geek:

now normally i would think you were after some kit, but as you have enough already, maybe its love! :eek:

I came home once with a dozen red roses for my wife.
No sooner had I walked through the door, did she say "And who are they for?"

A reply of "You, love", was met with "Why, what have you done?"

Seems us men just can't win :p

I think you are an old softy Busterboy! ;)

I do feel this looks a bit harsh, roses are romantic, it needs softening with less harsh light. Perhaps natural window light, using a tripod, smaller aperture to get some DOF, a quirky angle...oh go and redo it, I wanna see it all romanced up :geek:

I think getting your wife a bunch of roses just so you can take a macro shot of one is a bit extreme :LOL:
26 years married is pretty impressive though (just coming up to 27 years later this month btw :puke:)
Well done :clap: - Paul

Nice! I can't wait till my wife and I get to that sort of milestone.

We got married in 2001, been together since 1995, and we've both always said we want to be one of those old couples that get to their 50th wedding anniversary...you know, the sort who have just been together since the beginning of time :D

RobertP said:
30 years here on Monday!
Robert - Congrats (y) - What sort of macro shot are you planning :LOL:
Paul

ROFL. Thanks for the encouragement Marianne :)

Off to Paris on the Eurostar for 3 nights tomorrow morning. Not taking the macro lens though Paul ;)

For me Tim, the background and surroundings are a bit busy and you've plonked the rose right in the centre of the frame which doesn't help it.

Co-incidentally, I've just found an old filter rather misleading named as a centre spot soft filter. It's actually a soft focus filter with a hole in the centre. You have to play with the aperture size for best results, but something like that would be ideal for the more dreamy look Marianne suggests.

Lovely colour in the rose but I agree that there is a little bit too uch depth of field causing distraction.

Off to Paris on the Eurostar for 3 nights tomorrow morning. Not taking the macro lens though Paul
... more likely you'll need the wide angle then ... :naughty:
PS - We went on a cruise (to St Petersburg) for our 25th :razz:

Don't take this too personaly but for me the light is too flat, there is hardly any depth or contrast to the shot. Technically it's fine, good DoF etc. If you look at the stuff maz and janice shoot when it comes to flowers, they use a very shallow DoF and frame tight in to the subject to highlight the texture and structure of the flowers.

You need to get in touch with your feminine side. Try wearing more pink ;)

Back