Dog schidt

Name
DILLIGAF
Edit My Images
No
I ordered a dog schidt lens a while back just got the email telling me it should be 4-5 weeks before it's ready. Really excited.

Ordered it FFS 58 flare factory

With variable circular aperture f2-f16
Amber tint

Lower contrast option. (Was going to go for the stupidly low contrast option but I wasn't sure I'd get as much usage out of it)

And I couldn't decide between element separations and cleaning marks, so in the end I went with cleaning marks

With a brushed metal finish for canon ef fit

Really excited as I wanted one for ages.

Has anyone else got a dog schidt Lens?

If so what's your experience of them

Last edited:
Yeah I think they modify them, and also they ca take your own old Russian lens's and modify he. If they are but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Is this a joke or a genuine site? Are they really called "dog schidt" ? Why!

Not a joke they are a British company, there's a wait for their lens's quite popular I'm having one made, should arrive in 4 weeks

What? These are genuine. And arnt canon lens they are old Russian ones, no idea where u got your info from

LOL

Schidt said:
impart a distinctly analogue and physical character onto digitalimagery,

Uhuh.... and analogue photography looks like this of course.... it's all blurry with messed up colours.

Just buy any number of old russian lenses off ebay. Grab a Helios... while you still can... £20 tops.

Ridiculous.. some of those lenses are nearly a thousand pounds... LOL. What kind of monumental idiot would pay this for a defective lens?

Grab a Helios off Ebay, take it apart, remove the coatings, re-assemble.. voilá! you've probably got the same lens for around £20. It's no accident it's a 58mm lens: they're just buying up old Helios lenses removing some of the coatings, fitting different size shims and rings to introduce aberrations, and re-coating internal elements with different materials that flare different colours. I used to do this with old Praktika lenses. Letting soap bubbles burst over lens elements used to add different coloured flare :)

I don't get this.. Analogue photography doesn't even look like this.

The other problem I have with this company is that pretty soon, these old Russian lenses will become rare because they'll be sourcing them in order to sell them to idiot hipsters for a massive profit. I reckon I'll start acquiring them while they're still dirt cheap: Seems the world is full of people who want to pay 10 times more than they need to in order to have something.

Bloody hipsters.. got a lot to answer for.

...the same happend to old Nikkor lenses when the "Film makers" started snapping them up to use on 5D MkIIs. Try buying a Noct Nikkor 58mm for less than three grand now! 10 years ago these were on Ebay for £400. The same will happen with these old Russian lenses.

The same has happened with old Anamorphic projector lenses.

There's a whole generation of new photographers that are ripe for the picking :)

I'm currently bidding on 10 Helios lenses. I'll stick them in a cupboard for a few years, and pass them on when they're £300 each :)

.. one of them even comes with a camera :)

I can't help but feel this company IS a joke, but the jokes on the customers.

Found some random blokes blog on old M42 lenses here....

http://www.scottcartwright.co.uk/blog

Why pay more than £20?

Last edited:
Here's a Flickr Hive Mind feed of images tagged with DogSchidt.

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/dog,schidt/Interesting

The results you'll get are highly variable depending on lighting. Don't think you'll get the effects like in the movie on the Dog Schidt website. That's been heavily colour graded, and quite frankly... is cheating, and a bit hypocritical when they write

Dog Schidt said:
"and replace some of the tangible aesthetics that have been lost since digital acquisition and a reliance on post production has become commonplace"

Your results will not really be massively different from shooting with any number of old messed up M42 lenses from the former USSR or East Germany.

So when people used to say all my lenses were Schidt, it was a good thing? I sold em all and bought new ones for no reason!!! :arghh:

Hope they're not crap.

Their branding manager must need his head looking at though.

pooky i have no technical skill at all, i would have to buy an old russian lens, AND then PAY to send it away to someone to modify it for me. Im a bloke. but i dont even know how to put petrol in a car. or how to wire a plug. what chance would i have of taking a lens apart.

and it has taken me 5 months of work to realise there is a filter in a dryer thing.

so for someone like me id have to buy 5 or 6 lenses before id get one half right its the perfect company >.<

Last edited:
You could go a long way towards those results with the right level of post-processing....seems bonkers to me paying that amount of money tbh, but hey ho YMMV.

Is this a joke or a genuine site? Are they really called "dog schidt" ? Why!
Because they create lenses with obvious 'faults', for the instagram / holga generation.

This is a p***-take on par with lomography.

Our Flare Factory 58 was developed to impart a
distinctly analogue and physical character onto digital
imagery, and replace some of the tangible aesthetics
that have been lost since digital acquisition and a
reliance on post production has become commonplace.

Did they go to the same marketing school as the people at lomography?! Still, I bet all those talentless hipster photographers absolutely lap this stuff up. A magical snake-oil lens which will instantly turn all your photographs into works of art. Reminds me of all those online galleries of lomo lc-a pics where it's just endless crappy snapshots... but wait.... oh my God! They're cross-processed. Wow! Such Art! Much talent.

Still, at least it's a UK company, so it's UK jobs and tax and whatnot. That's probably a good thing.

Hmmm, sounds like they should have called themselves bull schist lenses :)

Serious question:

What are you expecting to get out of this lens that you wouldn't get from a cheap Canon/Nikon 50mm f1.8 and post-processing adjustments?

Last edited:
I don't understand your answer...

Are we talking stills or video here? Because in terms of stills (I don't do vid) those 'effects' can be reproduce in seconds.

i can but i have done it before :) ad do do it i fancied a change :) and yeah il be trying video out with it.

its only to put me on till i can find a way to get money for an xt1 as my 5d is getting knackered now.

i know i should look after my gear but i dont :(

its just me trying new stuff tbh :)

jut a lens i thought id give it a go, ive knackered up my other lens's and i thought 140 quid isnt too much. il give it a go. :) and see what its like

if its crap it will just go under my bed with the rest of my crap lens's lol. got to try new things :)

Their branding manager must need his head looking at though.

Their branding manager is probably a very clever man. Take an old Russian lens you cash buy f0r £20, make it a bit more s*** and sell for lots of profit. Not seeing why he needs his head looking at. His customers though...........

The more I'm researching this company the more I think they're onto something. There's tons of those 16 year old girl hipster type 'photographers' out there. The type that helped fuel the lomography boom several years back. Well, these days it's getting harder to find cheap film and processing and a lot of these people wont put up with the non-instant-gratification of film. So there's a market for these 'painfully artistic a-level photography hipsters' out there in the digital world.

Use a 'normal' camera set up and actually learn to create an image? Nah, not hipster enough. That wont "impart a distinctly analogue and physical character onto digital imagery, and replace some of the tangible aesthetics that have been lost since digital acquisition and a reliance on post production has become commonplace"! Obviously! What they really mean is - I have absolutely zero photographic talent but rather than work on that I'd rather use magic snake-oil to do it for me. "Hey hipster! Simply buy my expensive s***ty lens and you too can be a photographic genius! Artistic results guaranteed with every press of the button!"

Effectively lenses like this are going to become the new cross-processing. I mean - look at this review/blog post about the lens: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9840/d...ptiks-flare-factory-58-lens-and-sample-photos

Tell me that doesn't remind you of this: http://www.lomography.com/photos/cameras/3314883-lomo-lc-a

Absolute s***e photography hiding behind some stupid gimmicks marketed at £XXX a pop.

I should be buying shares.

Last edited:
i used to do film, id destroy 5 or 6 packs of medium format for every one i managed to get in the camera aha im very clumsy. it was far too expensive.

nd at the moment its my amazing skill at photoshop that makes my photos so great :) just looking for an easier way (yes i know how to use photoshop)

so if your saying i cant do it and my photography is bad because of it, your wrong :)

Last edited:
Their branding manager is probably a very clever man. Take an old Russian lens you cash buy f0r £20, make it a bit more s*** and sell for lots of profit. Not seeing why he needs his head looking at. His customers though...........

:agree: I wish I'd thought of it - may be we can create a hip market in those ghastly 80s filters - tobacco grads, multi coloured grads, starburst , etc ;)

Please don't think anything I say is directed at you! It's more a rant about the wider issues of companies like this one.

Surely a plug-in on photoshop is way easier than spending money on a lens and dealing with the complete inconsistencies such a lens will produce. Cheap 50mm 1.8 for £50, guaranteed good IQ capture each time, click on 'insta-hipster plug-in', profit.

And what on earth are you doing with your MF film!? :nailbiting:

:agree: I wish I'd thought of it - may be we can create a hip market in those ghastly 80s filters - tobacco grads, multi coloured grads, starburst , etc ;)

Tobacco filters! :puke: There's a blast from the past!

Hmm... problem is - no control of supply, people would just get one off eBay. It's also a little too easy for hipsters to accept. You need to trick them into thinking that they've actually worked hard to achieve their artistic results.

i get angry and have low patience levels with it. and with 35 mm i ended up just ripping it to shreds in anger lol. i have the patience to wait for developing just not in the process. of loading the camera, and with being really clumsy aggravates it. hense why when i get annoyed my len's and camera take a battering lol, and thats why im trying to raise money for a new camera.

pd go look in people and portraits and marvel at my genius and skill in photoshop ;) and the new lens will
help me with that.:)

i remember at uni they tried to tell me to get it right in camera which i told them to go away in a lot of 4 letter words, i didnt finish the degree, however, ive decided to give getting as much right in camera a try to see what they are talking about. i still dont believe it tbh, as i think photoshop is the way but im exploring :D coz atm waiting for my next event shooting glamour is getting boring :p

Last edited:
A s/h Canon 5d mk 1 is circa £300. Cancel your lens order and you're halfway there. I just picked up a S/H Nikon d300 for £220! It's a lovely camera.

i get angry and have low patience levels with it. and with 35 mm i ended up just ripping it to shreds in anger lol. i have the patience to wait for developing just not in the process. of loading the camera, and with being really clumsy aggravates it.

Please post up a vid. I have no idea how you're mashing film up. It's actually pretty hard to tear 35mm film. If you have trouble loading it pick up a Canon Canonet - they're designed to autoload the film for you.

its not in the state mine is, ive thrown it at walls kicked it. slapped it lol but i will get my xt 1 lol but i dont do that anymore lol its delicate now. :) it rattles a bit but it works. my 500D is in better nick though :)

and its easy with ur teeth lol and keys lol

i got my heart set on the fuji xt1 with the 700 pound 14mm prime, but reigning in my rage :) and trying to find money aha

Here's my camera gear. For moose

Last edited:
Back