Dog schidt

10 years ago they were still on ebay for close to $3,000 now. Nikon only made 12,000 in 20 years so they are one of the rarer Nikon lenses. Good glass that isn't made any more will always go up in price when modern technology breathes new life into it.

I agree with the last sentence, yes, but they were not £3k 10 years ago.

I am pretty sure I saw one for less than £500 BIN on ebay a few years back. I don't think it was mint copy, but reasonable. I really struggled to justify it over cheaper autofocus 50/1.4 prime.

Nah.. Laudraup is right.. they've always been expensive, but yeah, you could pick up a well used one for around the 500 mark 10 years ago. A mint one, boxed etc perhaps would be a grand or so, but £3K is just idiotic. It's not even that great a lens.

My advice is, if you want to shoot video i low light with fast apertures, get a 50mm f1.2 AI-S. Can get one for £200 and you won't notice the difference at video resolutions. The focusing action is actually better for video too... more linear. I say that.. but I bet they'll catch on to that soon as well, and before you know it you won't be able to get one of those for less than a grand soon I bet.

It's all just idiots jumping on bandwagons. Suits me fine actually as I have one of those. I'll just let some fool have it at a "bargain" price in a few years :)

Last edited:

Aperture sold a very nice condition one a few months back for £1750. £3k is either Grays prices or a mint example boxed with papers more for collectors. 10 years back KEH had them from $1600-$2000 and ebay had them for $2300 (US dollars). Corrected for inflation that ebay price would probably be closer to $3000 US dollars today.

I am pretty sure I saw one for less than £500 BIN on ebay a few years back. I don't think it was mint copy, but reasonable. I really struggled to justify it over cheaper autofocus 50/1.4 prime.

More likely that it was the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS. Nikon still make them and they are about £500 on ebay and look quite similar to the Noct.

Aperture sold a very nice condition one a few months back for £1750. £3k is either Grays prices or a mint example boxed with papers more for collectors. 10 years back KEH had them from $1600-$2000 and ebay had them for $2300 (US dollars). Corrected for inflation that ebay price would probably be closer to $3000 US dollars today.

I had a feeling you were doing the inflation thing. It's not that straight forward though is it. Comparing other lens prices it would appear that the used lens market has not kept with inflation... Many, many old manual lenses can be bought for the same cash price now as you could ten years ago, so in effect, are cheaper now. On a like for like basis, the Noct was not really anywhere near as expensive as it is now.

I promise you, a used example could be had for £500. I bet even a broken one would fetch that now.

More likely that it was the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS. Nikon still make them and they are about £500 on ebay and look quite similar to the Noct.

Nope.. the 50 1.2 can be had for 2-300 quid. I'm constantly checking prices on that, as I have one... and I'm waiting to scalp some unsuspecting hipster when the prices are right.

I had a feeling you were doing the inflation thing. It's not that straight forward though is it. Comparing other lens prices it would appear that the used lens market has not kept with inflation... Many, many old manual lenses can be bought for the same cash price now as you could ten years ago, so in effect, are cheaper now. On a like for like basis, the Noct was not really anywhere near as expensive as it is now.

I promise you, a used example could be had for £500. I bet even a broken one would fetch that now.

Nope.. the 50 1.2 can be had for 2-300 quid. I'm constantly checking prices on that, as I have one... and I'm waiting to scalp some unsuspecting hipster when the prices are right.

They were on ebay 10 years ago for $2300 US dollars and that's not correcting for inflation or at $1600-$2000 US dollars at dealers again not correcting for inflation. £500 quid 10 years ago wouldn't have bought you one of those.

The 50mm f/1.2 AIS is on ebay right now BIN for £567 so sub £500 a few years ago seeing it BIN is more likely to be a 50mm f/1.2 than a 58 Noct which look similar in passing.

Ignore Buy it Now prices. You want a real Ebay market indicator, see how much they go for in auction.

there is something to using lenses which arent very good or broken in some way, it might naturaly give you what your looking for, and some nice surprises

and lomo is a company that half arse there products, could easily be much better but arent :/

Im gonna buy one of these lenses then paint a red ring on it!
Then I can call it a Dog Shidt L lens, sell and make even more money on it! :LOL:

This has made me think a bit.

I might buy an old beat up soviet lens, some Vaseline and cut up some bits of plastic.

I'll call it Bear in the Woods and be happy as the proverbial pig.

Back