Door on Exeter's Cathedral Close.

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure how old the doorway is but it's no spring chicken! Often pass it but rarely when the sun's on it as well as it was way back in March.

DSCF3788
by Nod on Talk Photography

Impressive, a quick internet search revealed:

The oak door of SX9292 : No 10 Cathedral Close, Exeter, described by Cherry & Pevsner as a "splendid studded door, with faceted imitation-rustication and shell lunettes in high relief". It presumably dates from the C17 when this front was remodelled. There are heads - three lions (a fourth on the left is missing) and two women.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/744649

Last edited:
You have more patience than me! Haven't taken any real close ups - it is someone's front door, although it is much snapped. There's a hall a few doors up that Mrs Nod was thinking of leasing as a yoga studio but after talking to a previous tenant decided that it would cost a small fortune to heat and with it being listed, she would be very limited as to what she could do to reduce heat loss. Fabulous bosses on the roof timbers but I didn't have a camera with me when we viewed it. Might see if the agent will let me have a little while in there with a camera at some point.

I invested in a few of the 'Pevsner' architectural guides some years ago. My habit is to snap anything that takes my fancy and then look it up in the guides.

Sad I know but I do find all this old stuff we're surrounded by fascinating.

Back