Dorset Poppy Field

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Don't think I've posted a photo for crit for what seems like ages... Got a tip off of a nice poppy field not far from me so sneaked off for an hour on Sunday to take a picture...

C&C welcome.

Looks nice. The horizon on the right hand side is a tiny bit off putting though. Would be nice if it was just the poppy's and then the sky in my opinion.

Looks nice. The horizon on the right hand side is a tiny bit off putting though. Would be nice if it was just the poppy's and then the sky in my opinion.

Was just going to say exactly the same. Lovely feel to it though. :)

I like it! Couldn't tell you why, it just pleases me. :)

Something almost identical to this was in a Times supplement a few weeks back. Food for thought...

Hey thanks a lot for the positive comments. Agree about the little bit of land on the right background. Why didn't I notice this in the viewfinder :bonk:

Hey if a a similar image was in the Times (I didn't see it - honest!) great minds must think alike eh ;)

What I actually meant was.....get emailing them! If someone else is doing it, no reason why you shouldn't!(y)

Probably would if it wasn't for Maiden Castle in the horizon on the background :LOL:

Ah ha. 'Came', looking out over Weymouth I take it?

Nah the back road, not the rat run ;)

The road from Upwey Wishing Well to Martinstown via Winterborne Monkton.

Probably would if it wasn't for Maiden Castle in the horizon on the background :LOL:
Photoshop for the win!:D
Nah the back road, not the rat run ;)
The road from Upwey Wishing Well to Martinstown via Winterborne Monkton.
Ahh, you're proper local then.

A lot of attention for a not very insiring shot...a little more invention needed...maybe in different lighting other than full sun.
keith:)

A lot of attention for a not very insiring shot...a little more invention needed...maybe in different lighting other than full sun.
keith:)

Thanks for taking the time to CC. Can you expand on why you don't find the image very inspiring (I assume that's what the typo meant)?

Do you think golden hour light for example would have made this image better?

There are some leading lines in the clouds and the right horizon that carry your eye to the middle of frame but there is nothing there. So to me it is a bit subject less. looks a bit like a windows desktop background or a picture to use behind text printed on the top half.

Sharp and well exposed but nothing to hold my interest.

What I meant by not very inspiring was that it looks like a back up shot to show what the field looks like ......with the "more imaginitive" one taking the limelight.
It's a bit run of the mill..with all the elements of grass,red blobs,sky and clouds.
I have seen some wonderful ones in full sun when you are really low down and most of the frame is filled with poppies and a really deep blue sky.
As I have not seen this live I don't know how I would have attacked it but i thionk the positive comments come from seeing the slashes of red and getting all emotional about it.
Remember this is all IMOP
Cheers
keith

Thanks for taking the time to expand both...

Hi Freester..
An afterthought is if you could view this site .....
http://www.ephotozine.com/gallery/tags/poppies...there are 1000's to look at and some illustrate my views better than I described them. In particular a couple at the bottom of page 4.

Cheers
Keith

Cheers for that. Linky no worky but I search the website gallery for poppies and got this and found some nice ones on page 4. I guess what you're trying to illustrate is what I think my problem is - I always try and put too much into an image. I tried to get a nice field of poppies and an epic sky in. Should have focussed on one or the other?

Overall a nice photo with a slightly ackward slant on the horizon. Like it, very summery.

Gary.

Overall a nice photo with a slightly ackward slant on the horizon. Like it, very summery.

Gary.

Cheers Gary. So in summary (not summery ;) ) a proper marmite shot. A lot of people like. But a few people don't.

Thanks all for the feedback - good and bad.

Back