Dragonflies - Communal Thread

White-tailed Skimmer

white_tailed_S.jpg

Last edited:
we are putting a good list together which should help all with ID's

Great Thread...and i might get to learn all the different species too!

All comments welcome, cheers Paul.

A photo from my garden, Nikon D7100 with micro/macro 105mm 2.8D lens, also a Raynox 250 macro lens used too.

Uncropped image, an probably a female Common Darter.

Dragonfly, garden photo (uncropped). 28th-July-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Another garden photo, this one appears to be an immature? Damselfly, which was happy to perch on my finger!
Panasonic FZ45 with the Raynox 250 macro lens used.

Damselfly, garden photo. 1st-June-2014. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
. Error

lots of Southern Hawkers around

....Southern Hawkers, Migrant Hawkers, and Common Darters are the most often seen species at this time of year. I'm afraid that the frosts will finish their flight season eventually.

Oooh! Those are very nice quality shots, Bill @BillN_33

Here's one of mine from earlier this year: Southern Hawker 2927 by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Southern Hawker male, who settled, then stayed put long enough for me to set up my tripod, and didn't spook when I moved it around to try different angles etc.

Dave

Robin, I didn't see any yesterday when I went out in the water meadows near Winchester, Hants …… but it was maybe a little too damp

Is it the end of the season in the UK, now?

Not quite Bill, Ive seen Dragonflies up until November, down here in Kent.
In fact, Ive just checked my camera, and I have a 7 minute video on there, of when a Dragonfly (Common Darter) kept flying off and landing back on my hand! and the date i shot that film was the 10/11/13. Also, the last Dragonfly i saw (last year) was the 23/11/13. But in general, its tough to spot many of them now, most have died off.
I did see a Dragonfly today, along with 4 species of Butterfly, and 4 Adders/Snakes (1 female, 3 males) but it was unusually warm here today!

Common Darter
Common Darter by PINNACLE PHOTO LOG, on Flickr

....That's not a Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) < I add the scientific names because it identifies the species beyond doubt.

It's an immature male Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) and a great inflight shot of one too. If this was seen outside the southeast of England it needs recording with the British Dragonfly Society. I can give you a link if that's the case.

....That's not a Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) < I add the scientific names because it identifies the species beyond doubt.

It's an immature male Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) and a great inflight shot of one too. If this was seen outside the southeast of England it needs recording with the British Dragonfly Society. I can give you a link if that's the case.

If so, that's a real find ……… keep the thread posted on the location

Back