Dragonfly in flight

n1kcy

Special.....Extra Special
Name
Nicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken at yesterdays Exbury Garden meet, one of my personal challenges for this year is to get a decent shot of a dragonfly (or damselfly) in flight. These are certainly not what I would call perfect, but it's a big step in the right direction..

5876657506_fdbd161474_b.jpg

5876657252_6bf0878af7_b.jpg

5876656994_7b10e596fa_b.jpg

The rest of my insect shots are on my flickr account if anyone is interested.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Better than my attempts Nicky, I gave up pretty quickly and went to find some shade. :D

great set Nicky should be well pleased #3 is a lovely capture.

Thanks, I'm very pleased, previous attempts left me ready to give up, but this has shown me there is hope, practice makes perfect.

Better than my attempts Nicky, I gave up pretty quickly and went to find some shade. :D

It sure was hot.

Well done with those Nicky, all mine went in the bin ! I had thought to stay on longer and make some more attempts but it was just too hot and the dragon too lively !

Nice one Nicky, not an easy challenge but you did it (y)

Well done with those Nicky, all mine went in the bin ! I had thought to stay on longer and make some more attempts but it was just too hot and the dragon too lively !

He certainly was lively, I guess that's because it was sooo hot.

Nice one Nicky, not an easy challenge but you did it (y)

Thanks Ingrid, althought they are probably some of my worst photos from the day, they are the ones I'm most pleased with if that makes sense.

No3 stands out by a country mile- nice shot :clap:

Les (y)

Great shots especially No 3. I have attempted this a number of times and failed. Well done

Nice shots of the dragon flies. Did you use your long lens for these?

John

Very good set Nicky, I think you would of nailed them shooting at 1/1600 instead of 1/500.

No3 stands out by a country mile- nice shot :clap:

Les (y)

Thanks Les.

Great shots especially No 3. I have attempted this a number of times and failed. Well done

All I can say is keep trying, I know I will be.

Nice shots of the dragon flies. Did you use your long lens for these?

John

Yes it's the 400 prime on a 7D.

very well caught excellent job

Thank you.

Very good set Nicky, I think you would of nailed them shooting at 1/1600 instead of 1/500.

Yes, for sure I should have upped the ISO... next time. I don't think I would have got a stunning shot regardless as the light was horrible.

This is a very difficult species to capture as it hardly ever stops flying, and your shots are pretty good - I actually like #2 best. I agree with other comments about shutter speed though. Dragonflies in flight are one of my challeges too and shutter speed is very important. I find that setting ISO to AUTO, select shutter speed priority and 1/1000 minimum. The camera will then adjust the ISO to get a correct exposure at the set shutter speed.

A very good attempt at in-flights. It really is quite a challenge and very addictive (its just the heat that can be a nuisance when its really hot like this).

Keep practicing and as the season progresses you will get better - but always be prepared to bin loads lol.

Linda

This is a very difficult species to capture as it hardly ever stops flying, and your shots are pretty good - I actually like #2 best. I agree with other comments about shutter speed though. Dragonflies in flight are one of my challeges too and shutter speed is very important. I find that setting ISO to AUTO, select shutter speed priority and 1/1000 minimum. The camera will then adjust the ISO to get a correct exposure at the set shutter speed.

Thanks, I'll try auto ISO next time.

A very good attempt at in-flights. It really is quite a challenge and very addictive (its just the heat that can be a nuisance when its really hot like this).

Keep practicing and as the season progresses you will get better - but always be prepared to bin loads lol.

Linda

Thanks Linda.

Hi Nicky Nice pics. I cant believe how similiar yours are to mine. Was at a lake intending to shoot some wakeboarding & this dragonfly appeared so I thought I would give it a go. Man these things are fast. Used manual focus in the end, auto just wasnt up to it. Think the shutter speed was above 1,000. Normally I shoot basketball & use around 500 & I thought this was fast. Reckon I have the bug now to try & capture one of these guys real good. I was using my 70 - 200 do you think i should try with my 105 macro? Have posted my pics title Flying Dragonfly.
Regards
Chris

Back