Dropped 70D

Edit My Images
Yes
So had an engagement party of sorts today. Because of the nature of it, took my 70D and gave it to my sister to use. Was going fine until she gave it to my aunt who promptly dropped it. Lens hood (on backwards) hit first and then the base. Battery cover came off and the battery came out.

Seems to work fine at the mo but will check photos later. Blame was placed on the strap which fell out of the eyelet.

Reckon it needs someone to look at it. How should I proceed?

Gutted because I've taken care of it and I know my sister does which is why i trusted her with it.

If it works ok don't worry, just get a better strap!!

From what height was it dropped and onto what?

They're pretty resilient, within reason. I'd take test shots of the same subject matter at various apertures using the lens on it when dropped, and another non dropped lens using the same apertures and focal distance if possible eg: around 50-70mm using f/8, 11, 16 & 22 as a test bed and see how they compare. Also do the same using one aperture but change the shutter speed.

Also, is it new, under warranty. Are you / is it insured?

New - still under 12 months old. I've been told ir was dropped from a height of 3-4 inches but looked more like 4ft to me. One end of the oem strap decided to undo itself so it could have swung.

Mega gutted

Also, is it new, under warranty

Not going to be covered under warranty anyway, shops and manufacturers have no doubt seen more than one "it just stopped working" claim

As said above test it see if its work fine if it is move on with a better strap if its not no need to worry about warranty as its not going to be covered, but send it off to a canon service centre and they'll give a quote/diagnostic and you can then choose if its worth paying for repair or claiming on insurance...if you have the appropriate cover

I've dropped my 450D and my 5D3 neither have shown any signs of issue

With any luck it should be ok if it's still going now. I dropped my 5D3 the other day from around 2 feet onto tarmac. It's still going perfectly at the moment, I took about 300 more shots with it on the day and they are fine. It's still focussing properly, turning on and off and everything as normal. Must be well built. I dropped a 7D last year and it needed £600 worth of repairs to the PCB and AF circuits. Will keep my eye on it of course, but the only thing that even looks scuffed is the Meike grip that's on it and it didn't even turn off when it was dropped. I had my strap connected to the tripod mount of the lens when I managed to drop mine so I'm going to get an extra connector for the body to connect to the strap from now on.

Hopefully yours will keep going without any problems but I would advise getting a better strap to use from now on.

Last edited:
Yup saw your thread when I did a search. The camera functioned fine for the rest of the day but will need to upload photos and check them, as well as testing all camera functions.

Would still prefer to get it checked out. £600 would be enough to make me buy a grey import (new 70D is £700 or so).

I feel like someone who's scrimped and saved for a porsche, only to damage it on the first day of ownership.

Yup saw your thread when I did a search. The camera functioned fine for the rest of the day but will need to upload photos and check them, as well as testing all camera functions.

Would still prefer to get it checked out. £600 would be enough to make me buy a grey import (new 70D is £700 or so).

I feel like someone who's scrimped and saved for a porsche, only to damage it on the first day of ownership.

Could be worse, last year I hired a Sigma 120-300/2.8 and a 2xTC from L4H clipped them in place and was walking through my own lounge, tripped and watched my 5D3 and the above fly through the air and upon hitting the floor go from one complete unit to 3 separate units :( I probably felt even worse as of course the lens and TC were not mine :(

So it could always be worse :LOL:

I think you've answered this thread yourself then. Go get it checked for peace of mind. Might be an idea to change your avatar too!!! 'Omens'. Thats not a good one:(

It was a thundercats reference.

Emailed lehmann since theyre the closest to Birmingham. Will see if they can do a diagnostic and make sure everything looks okay.

My 5D2 was knocked over when on a tripod and landed on a hard surface inside an old lime kiln. In a dark crowded space and no- one "saw" it happen. Landed on my lens hood. The battery compartment came open and battery fell out. I left. - quickly - and waited till my anger had subsided before checking anything. Everything just worked fine for the next 18 months till I traded it in.

Camera bodies are tougher than Chelsea's defence!!!

It was a thundercats reference.

Emailed lehmann since theyre the closest to Birmingham. Will see if they can do a diagnostic and make sure everything looks okay.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Hopefully be ok. I was visiting my brother a few years back and had put my camera on his desk- when I lifted it up admitedly quite quickly, I hadn't noticed the strap had wrapped itself around the corner- cue equal and opposite laws and D3S and 24-70 plowing into his hard floor. I was certainly horrified as it impacted- everything seemed to be fine though- it was only months later when I realised it had cracked the left dial- still, I could not fault focus or lens though, so I considered myself extremely lucky given the forces involved- lets hope you're luckier and have no damage at all:)

Last edited:
Could be worse, last year I hired a Sigma 120-300/2.8 and a 2xTC from L4H clipped them in place and was walking through my own lounge, tripped and watched my 5D3 and the above fly through the air and upon hitting the floor go from one complete unit to 3 separate units :( I probably felt even worse as of course the lens and TC were not mine :(

So it could always be worse :LOL:
Isn't it customary to provide the gory photos? ;)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?threads/489185/

(Caution : Not suitable for those of a nervous disposition.)

Last edited:
So Lehmann have contacted me to say the camera has been disassembled (and hopefully reassembled), no damage/fault found and hence no charge. Plan to pick it up tomorrow.

So Lehmann have contacted me to say the camera has been disassembled (and hopefully reassembled), no damage/fault found and hence no charge. Plan to pick it up tomorrow.

That's very good news and sounds like you've been very lucky. And no charge for all the work checking everything as well - bonus.

Think you need to buy a lottery ticket this weekend :D

Glad it's worked out well for you. Just make sure you take extra care from now on, you might not be so lucky next time.

Completely true. In other news, I won £35 on the lottery. Was hoping for a 5-figure sum at the very least.

....That's great news. I just found this thread and I know you take care of your toys (reference to car).

Robin (y)

Back