Yes
4.jpg

Camera:Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Canon 55-250mm
Focal Length: 250mm
Shutter Speed: 1/2000 secs
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 800
I normally like to take landscapes but it was taking some of our local river and couldn't resist this duck. What do you think?
Thanks, Mike

Beautifully sharp and colourful and he is posing perfectly there, superb image.

Very nice and great capture of an amusing moment - She (female Mallard) looks like she is addressing an audience!

Hi Mike, as you have asked for critique I will give you my honest thoughts. First of all I would disagree with Steve and say this is far from beautifully sharp, there was obviously a lot of movement going on at the time which is fine on some points of the subject (motion blur) Actual sharpness of the important part the head for example is not (soft). Not sure how far away you were from the subject so this might be a large crop even at 250mm. In saying this you have still captured the moment, you have a good surrounding but the subject could have perhaps been moved over to the left and given more space for the way it is facing. If the background in this shot is typical of the stretch of river then it looks like it could be prime Kingfisher territory to me.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, as you have asked for critique I will give you my honest thoughts. First of all I would disagree with Steve and say this is far from beautifully sharp, there was obviously a lot of movement going on at the time which is fine on some points of the subject (motion blur) Actual sharpness of the important part the head for example is not (soft). Not sure how far away you were from the subject so this might be a large crop even at 250mm. In saying this you have still captured the moment, you have a good surrounding but the subject could have perhaps been moved over to the left and given more space for the way it is facing. If the background in this shot is typical of the stretch of river then it looks like it could be prime Kingfisher territory to me.

I have always had the opinion that ALL critique (as long as constructive, which yours is) is always welcome. That's one way you learn to improve so thanks for that.
Last night I was paying with this photo and I cropped some off the left and bottom so she is facing more into the picture and to remove the burnt out parts of the water. I would've preferred more sharpness and less noise.

I would say that the above crop is about 1/4 of the original photo.

Back