Dud Canon 28-135mm lens?

Name
Kyle Shearer
Edit My Images
Yes
I have come to the conclusion that my 28-135mm lens is a dud. Images just aren't as sharp as they should be, I always come away from phototreks disappointed, at first I thought it was my skills, but I am pretty sure it's not just that!

Now the problem is I have had the lens for a month under 2 years now and I'm unsure of the warranty situation. I really want the lens fixed or a replacement, but I want to spend as little money as possible. Any ideas? Am I eligible for a replacement or a free fix?!

Thanks in advance.

Take a shot mounted on a tripod as well, to eliminate any possible camera shake (y)

You may be unlucky did you register lens with canon when you bought it if you did there might be a three year warranty with it if not you will only get 12 month warranty same with grey imports even if you registered it there may only be 12 months warranty
Regards
Lost

Ah sorry, I will upload tripod shots tomorrow.

Unfortunately I didn't register it when I bought it. TBH, it isn't terrible, which is why I've put up with it, but it is definitely not as sharp as it should be.

I sent my USA Purchased 28-135 into Canon UK for the same thing... it was about 13 months old -- they 'fixed' it for free. If I was you, I would send them an email quickly and ask what they can do for you... Even if you have to pay - I would recommend shipping it in to them. Should be less than 100 quid for repair.

I'm happy with the lens again!

Im really happy with the quality of my 28-135mm images and mines taken quite a bit of abuse over the years i bought it when they first came out and its served me well im toying with the idea of sending it to have a internal clean really i should by another but this ones like a old friend sods law says as soon as its cleaned the i.s will pack up
Regards
Lost

A lot of images are this at sharpest, though sometimesif I am lucky they are a little sharper, but I really mean a little! Lower f numbers yield better results for people shots, but that's about it.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/778/cyprus.jpg

Could you guys post some images taken with the lens for comparison?

There's not a lot wrong with that TBH. There's a bit of CA (colour fringing) rounds the edges - see the telegraph pole on the right - but that's only to be expected. You could clean that up by shooting Raw and running the files through the custom lens correction facility in DPP - the free software you got with the camera. If your lens is not included in the version you've got, download a free upgrade from here http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dcp/firm-e/pssx1is/index.html

I really don't think there's much wrong there that some careful processing won't improve. Somebody on here might have a go at it for you ;) What Picture Style are you using? A few tests pics with different levels of sharpening and saturation might help - see handbook.

Back