Dull images given a new perspective as B&W

Compositionally they're fine. With 2, I'm not sure I like the inclusion of the house, but would have seen you stood at the loch edge on a still clearer day hopefully with a reflection in the loch, that would be special.

Best thing you can do, is reshoot on a clearer day with golden light and see how you go. Look at my site, my landscapes look that as I am selective in the type of weather conditions and light conditions I shoot in, thats all.

Last edited:
For me, number one is probably a lost cause. I kinda agree about number two and the house but then I like the road winding off into the distance. Maybe a reposition after the house would work? I do however quite like number three, the sky hasn't been kind but I like the sepia tone, it looks like an old post card. Mind you a slight shift to lose the other bridge in the background would be good.

I must admit, I like cloudy days, especially in black and white, but the cloud has to be nice and defined with lots of varying shades so wouldn't necessarily only shoot on a clearer day.

Thanks for the critique. Number 1 was taken on a trip to the Galapagos islands so I don't think its likely I will recompose that shot, the second is of course the old man of Storr on the Isle of Skye which I could go back to but not any time soon.

Shows different opinions... I agree with all #1 is still dull and #3 a little bit less dull

but #2 I really like I personally think the road leads you up to the mountain yes i bypassed the house but its there and I like the contrast of the mountain.

A different perspective would be a different shot so yes a shot by loch water edge with reflection could be amazing but I think this works too in its own right.

View attachment 18930

It's easy to be an armchair composition critic, so you will probably find similar faults on most people's shots, including mine.

Here we go:

1, Interesting sky, sink the boats.

2, I like this. I cloned out some telegraph poles and turned it round. I like this, and the clear space on the left is OK for icons when you use it as a desktop. :) My version probably grates for you, as you have been there.

3, The Forth rail bridge has crept in bottom right, a move to the right would probably have been the best solution. Of course PS could demolish it for you.

Last edited:
#1 is a far more pleasant image in colour, but it is soft.
Given the location, it's a shame you can't re-shoot, but it's still a nice holiday memory shot.

#1 is a far more pleasant image in colour, but it is soft.
Given the location, it's a shame you can't re-shoot, but it's still a nice holiday memory shot.

Agree it looks soft, but that could be web hosting etc. The tones are lovely with the cool tones at the top of the sky and the warm ones lower down. There's enough cloud interest to make it interesting, its as good as skies get. Bar potential softness its a cracking image and a good exposure. I suspect as the water is moving, and there are boats, the SS has meant its soft as the boats have moved within the exposure time. Its happened to me.

Back