Durham Cathedral

I really like this! I would be inclined to crop a little off the left and a little off the bottom to balance it, but I really like it! I love the way the bright white of the light stands out but the detail is kept in the rest of the shot.

Yes, this a good one.

You see so many shots of the cathedral taken from just downstream of that weir and I don't recall seeing any from this viewpoint. Night time shots seem rare too.

Another one that falls into the "Wish I'd taken that" category!

I like the composition, exposure and processing with a fantastic reflection in the water

The only thing I don't like is the distortion on the verticals of the Cathedral

Thanks for all the kind words, The far tower on the Cathedral is on a slight lean i agree but to be honest i would not know how to straighten that and leave the rest the same.... as for the sky i have not really touched it, i just played with highlights and shadows mainly boosted the clarity, sharpened it a touch and upped the exposer, it was taken with a 18-55mm kit lens on a 60D,

If any one knows about the cathedral yu will know it has had new lights fitted and this was the first night of the new lights, and there was a civic thing going on in Font of the cathedral with loads of super troopers so maybe that is the halo effect, but i can honestly say i don't have a clue :)

Sorry got the lens wrong i had got a sigma 10-24mm for the evening and was using that

It's always nice to see the cathedral as I haven't been home to Durham for ages. I was surprised to see the cathedral looking so white, I always remembered it as more of a yellowy glow. I'm not sure I prefer the new lights but it is a nice shot from a different viewpoint with a great reflection.

Back