Dust? in camera??

• Thread starter Deleted member 59779
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59779

I've got acanon70D approx 6 wks old and when I look through the viewfinder there is a black thin line which I am guessing is dust. Only changed lens about twice and i am very careful when i do. Am I best buying one of the giotto blowers to get rid of. Or is there a better way of removing. Naturally anxious as camera is new. Does not show up on images.
Thank you

The good news is it'll never show up in images whilst it stays where it is. A rocket blower will shift it if it's inside the mirror box, if it's inside the viewfinder though, that's less easy (although it's possibly an eyelash on the outside of the viewfinder window).

If the hair was on the sensor you would not see it through the viewfinder, just on the finished pictures.

Thanks all for comments so far. Never thought of it being a hair on the viewfinder. Will have a look tonight when I get home from work.

Another vote for the Rocket Blower. The viewfinder is not that delicate... get a soft (clean.. preferably new) brush and give it a once over while also blowing in there with the rocket blower. It's just a piece of plastic the image is focused on.. you can't really hurt it unless you start poking in there with something abrasive, and as others have said, it has no bearing upon the actual image you take, as the mirror flips up when you take the shot, and the viewfinder is actually doing nothing during the actual exposure.

Last edited:
Always remember a Rocket blower could stir up dust elsewhere in the camera body. I prefer to us an Artic Butterfly as this attracts dust etc by building up a static electrical charge.

It could also be on the focussing screen, which is *very* delicate. They are very easy scratch, and while the scratches do not appear in the images, they look more annoying when looking through the viewfinder than the original problem. Here speaks the voice of experience! I had mine replaced after I tried to give it a gentle clean. We live and learn.

Dust is a fact is a fact of life, even if you never take the lens off. Air gets pumped in and out by the lens zooming. Just ignore it, or remove when necessary.

If you can see it through the viewfinder, it's almost certainly on the underside of the focusing screen, above the mirror. Anywhere else - on the mirror, on the lens or in the lens - it will be too out of focus to show up. Be careful with Pookeyhead's advice about cleaning the focusing screen. A soft brush is okay but the surface is covered with tiny ridges that are soft and easily damaged if you poke them with a rocket blower, leaving a permanent mark. Rocket blower is good though, with care.

Marks on the image are on the sensor, but usually only visible at high f/numbers like f/16, often on large clear areas like sky. Use a rocket blower, or a wet clean for anything stubborn.

Giottos Rocket Blower - get the bigger one for a tenner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-GTA...&qid=1406281908&sr=1-1&keywords=rocket+blower

It could also be on the focussing screen, which is *very* delicate. They are very easy scratch, and while the scratches do not appear in the images, they look more annoying when looking through the viewfinder than the original problem. Here speaks the voice of experience! I had mine replaced after I tried to give it a gentle clean. We live and learn.

Y won't scratch it with a soft blower brush

Definitely not an eyelash on the viewfinder. I have checked. I have more now . :( I am going to order a rocket blower and see how I get on. Will probably be back for more advice. Many thanks so far.

A couple of weeks later I've finally found the courage to use the rocket blower I purchased. Was worried I would do some detrimental damage to my lovely new camera. A bit of dutch courage (bottle of Sol:beer: before starting task in hand. A few deep breaths and a few puffs later. Dust free camera Yay:banana:

Thanks guys for advice. :ty::ty::ty:I am now breathing easy and because I've neglected my camera for couple of weeks I"ve treated it to a nice new lens:runaway:

If you are looking through the optrical viewfinder, I wouldn't worry too much. If it is on the actual image, and if it's a thin horizontal line right across the image ... and it doesn't blow off - be aware it could be another damaged sensor.

Last edited:
Back