East Fortune Airshow (First timer)

Name
Cam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Went to this airshow last weekend with the family and totally loved it. Thought I'd share some snaps, though it was my first time shooting 'up'. I processed these via Lr5 which I'd just purchased, so it was my first time with that too, so go easy! :)

All shot using a Canon 400D and a Sigma 70-300.

IMG_1276
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1293
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1338
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1375
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1384
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1422
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1432
by cgtm, on Flickr

IMG_1488
by cgtm, on Flickr

Really nice set there, East Fortune Museum Of Flight, I was there as well great day out.

Some nice compositions there, if you've been playing in LR you've no doubt found the nasty connection between exposing for aircraft and exposing for cloud! 2 quick tips, speed down (so you don't freeze the props) and EC up +1/3ish then claw the highlights back a smidge to unblow the clouds, and when viewed on flickr they could all do with a touch of noise reduction. On the whole though very nice - with the exception of the Sea Fury (first one) which on flickr looks like its made of jelly.

@cw318is Thanks for those tips, although I'm not sure what 'EC' stands for? Yes, the first one needed a lot of noise reduction as the subject was very small in the frame and it's a really big crop. It does look over done though — nice catch.
@Strike Yeah, great day out. Planning on the Prestwick one later in the year.

although I'm not sure what 'EC' stands for?

Exposure compensation, adding a bit on to the camera's own metering to overexposure a bit as the camera will generally meter for the sky as its a larger, brighter area. On the back of your 400D there is a button that says Av+/- if you hold this down and turn the control wheel it'll adjust the compensation. Looking through the viewfinder you'll see the tick moving along. Start off at 1/3 for a clear day or 2/3 on a cloudy day and go from there.

Oh yeah, gotcha. I used that a bit on the day, but not consistently, nor with such specifics in mind. Thanks for the rule of thumb! :)

Yeah, just realising now that static props are a 'thing'. I was just really happy to get them in focus!

Back