East Fortune bike racing

Name
neil
Edit My Images
Yes
As weeman has said at last the scottish bike racing has swung into action Also it means my first real try at motorsport with the 40d and 70-200 L think i managed ok seemed to have slight problem getting the whole bike in focus mind you Can anybody tell me whats the best focus piont to use when shooting motorsport (y)

AE mode 1/500 f6.3 spot metering iso500 200mm all focus points

AE mode 1/320 f7.1 spot metering iso 100 70mm centre focus point

AE mode 1/200 f5 spot metering iso 100 70mm centre focus point

Thanks for looking, all c+c welcome

Sorry, I can't help with your question, but really like that first pic.

Again great stuff.

I am not a motorsport tog but in general you either set to manual and let the subject "arrive" at your focus point or allow the camera to track the subject. Both have their merits and both will have their failures. :D

(y)

Again great stuff.

I am not a motorsport tog but in general you either set to manual and let the subject "arrive" at your focus point or allow the camera to track the subject. Both have their merits and both will have their failures. :D

(y)

I was using A1 servo mode and tracking them with centre point focus but seemed to have some of the bike in focus and some not. Might just have to practice my panning skills more :shrug:

The shots look good to me, I can't really comment on technique as I have only begun in this field too, I came across a article Click Here which gives a few tips, first part is about safety.

the first pic has to be my fav,
cant really help with the question, but the pics look ok to me.

neil
For my shots at East Fortune I had all the focus points active, I have also used just the centre point in the past. I don't think it made a lot of difference to the results it is more dependant on your panning. You just need to practice, this is my second season shooting bikes and I still find it hard!

AI Servo and centre focus point is all I use for bikes. The trouble is that often you've got things moving in a slightly different plane to your pan or vibrating so whilst it is actually in focus you've still got some motion blur.

First photo is excellent - whatever focus point you were using there looks bang on! :)

Back