Eastbourne Eagles vs Wolverhampton Wolves (Speedway)

Name
Steve Gordon
Edit My Images
No
I had my first visit to a speedway race meeting yesterday and was lucky enough to have been granted centre green access for the event (hopefully more to come). It was a chance to try out me new 580ex II flashgun and that was a bit of steep learning curve for me. Speedway is a very fast and frenzied sport and getting shots was pretty tricky. I came away with a few reasonable ones but certainly need more practice if I can get it.

Full gallery is online at http://sjgphotography.co.uk/gallery/gallery.aspx?id=30

PSG0804A5-0007A.jpg

PSG0804A5-0010A.jpg

PSG0804A5-0014A.jpg

PSG0804A5-0018A.jpg

PSG0804A5-0022A.jpg

PSG0804A5-0035A.jpg

Lee Richardson can just be seen behind crashing into the wall.
PSG0804A5-0059A.jpg

PSG0804A5-0068A.jpg

A very nice set there.:clap:

Great shots Steve, looks like you enjoyed your first visit into the inner circle, how did the new flash go, from the images, I'd say pretty successfully....

Peter

Well if this is your first time, then just imagine what you'll turn out with a bit of practise! Excellent set - lots of multi rider action there - I envy folks working at tracks where you can easily get that - Ipswich is pretty tricky with the shape of the bends. Looking forward to seeing more in the future! :clap:

Cracking set dude, No2 is quality well done, how did you get the centre track pass...? did you just ask, would love to have a go at shooting speedway..

good set :)

What's with the colours on these? They all seem to "pop" and it's not just the flash I don't think. Have they been processed? Nonetheless - good, sharp action shots but they just seem to have strange halos around them.

Some good action there Stevey really nice to see it's all starting to happen mate great stuff.

Bill

Thanks for the comments everyone. :-D

Pete - The flash went reasonably I think. I did end up with a few pitch black shots while the flash was recycling and some where more under-exposed than I would have liked. Thanks to RAW I could correct that though.

Phil - The track pass was a bit of luck and hard work. I shot some shots from outside the circuit during the practice sessions and got permission to go inside for the final practice after email the owner / organisers. They have since been kind enough to grant me some time inside during races as well.

Mark - They were processed but I think most of the colours are due to the flash. Their suits are quite reflective and seem to bounce back some bright colour. In fact in some images I toned the saturation down a little. Not sure about the halos. I can see the effect you mean now that you mention it. I think it may be more due to my use of the flashgun lighting up the subject but not the background. It's less obvious on the fullsize images so is probably emphasised be size reduction and sharpening for web.

TW25 - My settings varied during the night but I ended up on mnaual camera (1/250th, F4.5-5.6, ISO 320-400). Flash was on ETTL auto most of the time.

Cheers,
Steve

As a speedway fan I like these. Used to see Wimbledon speedway on a regular basis.

It's a bit surprising you can use flash as you think it might distract the riders.

Back