Eastbourne Pier

dlh

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I couldn't spot a landscape shot if I tripped over it but I made the effort to walk along the beach in Eastbourne the other day and took this.

It was so dull and miserable that a b&w conversion was needed. Appreciate your thoughts.

eastbourne.jpg

Of course might have helped if I'd posted this in the right place :bonk:

Its not a bad shot, but the point where the mast on the boat crosses the pier right in the centre of the frame is very distracting.

If the boat didn't have a mast, you would have probably got away with this one.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Had a quick and mucky edit to increase impact - lightened the boat a bit too much - agree about viewpoint but a nice image.

Thanks for your comments. I'm just not good with this sort of thing (less so than anything else). Despite many attempts I usually just end up binning everything.

I see what you're saying about the mast, will take a saw along next time :D There were some even more distracting items to the right of the boat so had to frame it here. Is there anyway specifically I could have used the boat better?

Post processing was a problem as the detail appears shot to hell on the boat so I deliberately kept it darker. For the moment I think I need to worry more about my composition. I have a nack for spotting something nice and not managing to capture what I see. Will try harder :)

Well dlh, you seemed to drift away from us for a while, but since your recent return I've noticed a huge increase in the quality of stuff you've been posting, so I don't think you have anything to be despondent about at all. ;)

. Is there anyway specifically I could have used the boat better?

At the moment it just looks plonked in the middle of the frame. You 'may' have been able to use to to draw the eye into the main feature point - the pier. This may well not have been possible given the location, but it would have made a better picture.

CT: thanks for that. Guess I'm starting to push the proverbial right buttons at last... Helps having gotten away from the old woman at last lol :)

Joe T: Yep I get you. I have John Freeman's "Photography" book here. Think I should finally dust it off and have a read.

For me DLH it is not a bad picture at all ... apart from the composition you have a good contrasty shot that works well in mono ...(y)

You could possibly have moved your viewpoint to the right ... placing the end of the pier snugly in the moddle of the boat ... perhaps ...not sure it would have worked but at least the mast would be further left and not chopping the pier in half ...:thinking:

Otherwise not a bad shot ... compositional practice is all you need ... as technically you are not far out ... imo ...:D

:p

Back