Easter Spiders

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
No
I've taken literally hundreds of shots in the garden today since the sun came out for the first time in ages. I was getting very worried as I started to look through them this evening as most were out of focus or just plain missed the subject. Thankfully these two shots made my day!

This male Wolf spider was looking straight into the lens and waving at me, must have seen his own reflection in the glass. Those eyes look evil!

13939708133_8e112880d0_b_d.jpg

This garden spider (Araneus diadematus) had it's web destroyed when my wife did the gardening. She later shouted to me that it had started re-building the web again. I took 81 shots and this was the only one in focus

13940102884_50e76d4308_b_d.jpg

Ha ha! Welcome to the wonderful world of macro. That's a pretty typical hit rate to be honest and you should be pleased you got two keepers ;) It's probably good advice to find something to help support you camera, even if it just means holding onto a long stick. This is something I rarely do however, and the result is plenty of missed focus shots!

Really like that wolf spider and the contrast/colours in that second one are great!

81 shots to get a good one, I find that amazing. I don't have the steadiest of hands but can get a good one in 5 shots at worst. Do you manual focus? Maybe try holding a pole to help stabilise the camera or use a monopod. Back to the shots, I think the end results are pretty darn good.

Just read Tim's reply and agree fully with using a pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both for the stick idea, I'll certainly give that a try tomorrow.

Yes Alby, I manual focus. I try to gently rock back and forth to find the focus spot and fire a couple of shots rapid.

Tim, I'm a follower of your work on Flickr, some amazing stuff on there. I can only dream of producing such great pictures!

Once you get your eye in and perfect thr hitting shutter at exactly right time whilst rocking you'll improve that hit rate.

Generally I hit mine just before focus or on the red bipper on my camera (though think im quite quick). Hitting it as you obtain focus tends to mean you have past it by time shutter has gone with the rocking method. Fingers not as quick as the eye. Practice practice.

Other options if cant find big stick, hold your elbows to your chest. Kinda makes a human tripod.

Keep it coming and welcome to the mad house.

Back