Ebay / Paypal Postal Labels

Edit My Images
No
A heads up / warning to those tempted to sell via Ebay, and then using the print postage label facility in Paypal...

When you enter the details of your parcel (eg weight etc) there is an option whether to display the postal value on the label or not (so buyer can/can't see what you paid).

If you select No, print the label and then take the package to your local PO Counter they will refuse to accept it as they have no evidence of what you have paid (even though the label shows the weight you paid for).

Now having spoken to numerous departments in Royal Mail it seems this is correct. RM clearly saying they must see the postal value.

Whether this is the fault of the RM or Paypal (not sure who's site you actually create the label in, but suspect its RMs) i can't assertain, but it just cost me double the postage to send a camera body special delivery :(

I'm trying to claim the initial postage cost back via Paypal - i don't hold out much hope ! :cautious::cautious:

So i'd recommend you always opt to display the value :eek:

I have always printed without showing the value and i've never had any problems :shrug:

me neither - I never show the value. They know the price paid by the weight on the parcel.

I had a similar experience last month with my first ebay sales. My packages weighed slightly more than the printed weight because I didn't bother weighing bubbles of air and a poly bag. There were no prices printed. I knew that the weight was still within the same price band, and they could have weighed even more for the same price. So if the printed weight was equal to or more than the weight shown on their scales, not showing the price would not have been a problem. We had a few minutes 'discussion' before they begrudgingly accepted them with the warning that 'they might not deliver them'. They did.

So next time I'll weigh my air bubbles, and print the price.

Why wouldn't you want your customer to know how much you paid for postage? Unless you're ripping them off....:naughty:

Why wouldn't you want your customer to know how much you paid for postage? Unless you're ripping them off....:naughty:

But surely thats what 90-ish % of sellers do as there are no fees
on postage ( unless that bit has changed recently)

I'm not bothered what the seller has paid to post it TBH I check the postage cost before I buy and if i'm not happy then I don't buy. I guess it all boils down to the buyers who think that the postal materials and time come free and all you should pay for is the stamp :wacky:

I underestimated the weight for postage of a camcorder when paying by paypal, and the guy in the post office said there was no way of adding postage as the label was barcoded. I had to pay again to send the parcel, but they told me to go on the paypal site, cancel the postage and claim a refund - it was no trouble, and I got the refund a few days later. Very surprised!

Say you've charged a nice round £5 for post and packaging, and the buyer sees £4 on the label. There are plenty of petty minded people out there who will give you a neg for overcharging that amount, or even less. They also overlook that the charge is for post AND packaging. I have seen myself a neg given for somebody posting in a used jiffy bag, even though that buyer wasn't charged for packaging. You may also have to drive a significant distance to a post office, or have to pay for parking when you get there. Again there are a lot of buyers, happy with their 99p widget, will expect all these additional costs to be free.

I've had someone leave a comment saying I'd charged twice as much for postage (70p vs £1.50) when it had cost me 89p for the jiffy bag + 1st Large Letter.

Postage on Ebay is definately not just the cost of the stamps. Now I just don't show it to avoid pettyness.

I've had someone leave a comment saying I'd charged twice as much for postage (70p vs £1.50) when it had cost me 89p for the jiffy bag + 1st Large Letter.

Postage on Ebay is definately not just the cost of the stamps. Now I just don't show it to avoid pettyness.

People often forget the second 'P' in P&P don't they? :wacky:

For the same reasons as others have quoted I too don't show the value on a paypal printed postage label and never had a problem with either the RM delivering or the ebay buyer giving me a neg - so far 325/325 +ve feedbacks :woot:

I've never had a problem with Paypal postage labels at the Post Office - and I never show the price either.

Well Paypal refuse to refund the money - hardly surprising. I think the issue lies with the training of the Post Office personnel.

And for the record the postage cost was £6.40, and i charged £6.50 for P&P

So by the time i packed it up, spent 15 minutes driving the 6 miles to/from the PO i lost out by about £2

Postage does not count for eBay fees, but if they pay by Paypal you will lose a bit.

Back