Critique Edinburgh

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

I was in Edinburgh last Friday practising photographing the architecture. I spent most of my time at the Scottish Parliament but managed to capture this shot just off the Royal Mile

1) Carrubbers Close:

2) Scottish Parliament

3) Scottish Parliament

Any advice, comments, critique, constructive critiscm is appreciated

Last edited:
Really like these. Might have a night in Edinburgh first I get back. Thumbs up

The lighting in no.1 for me is brilliant, the shadows in the bottom corners lead you to the highlighted pathway, then onto the bike and the buildings lead you out the rest of the frame. Very good shot

Not a great lover of black and white.... but i love No 1. very simple. very good.

Hi there

Thought I'd add another two shots from a trip to Edinburgh and didn't see any point in creating another thread - as always any feedback or constructive critiscm is appreciated:

1) Room with a view:

2) Edinburgh's Folly:

The Folly is good, :)

First one is a nice shot, the damp path reflects the light giving it a nice soft diffused look. The Scottish parliament ones aren't doing a lot for me, sorry

Last edited:
Really like the first one, although the bike slightly more across the frame would have given it more prominence, but no big deal. The parliament shots I'm not so keen on and I think that cranking up the contrast would improve them. The 2 added shots work really well for me, with the framing by the window being very effective and the position of the person by the folly really helping with scale.

The Folly is good, :)

Thank you Norkie :)

First one is a nice shot, the damp path reflects the light giving it a nice soft diffused look. The Scottish parliament ones aren't doing a lot for me, sorry

Thanks Jakeblu - I admit the Parliament ones aren't my favourites but I felt they demonstrate the new / old architecture fairly well. I also think there's potential with those particular shots given different conditions (weather, filters, etc) and hopefully I'll get the chance to revisit and improve upon them soon :)

Really like the first one, although the bike slightly more across the frame would have given it more prominence, but no big deal. The parliament shots I'm not so keen on and I think that cranking up the contrast would improve them. The 2 added shots work really well for me, with the framing by the window being very effective and the position of the person by the folly really helping with scale.

Thanks Peter - never thought to really crank up the contrast in processing but will give it a try next time and see how it turns out. The framing by the window was one of those shots I had exactly in my mind before I took it (does anyone else do this?) and the single person by the folly was left in the shot after processing purely to give a sense of scale ;)

love your shots mate b&w work well

Thanks Alex - and thanks to all who took the time to write out constructive critiscm - from feedback such as this I'm hoping to improve and learn and that's what it's all about :ty:

For me the first is cracking, possibly a bit more dark on the right than left, so if it was mine I might crop a tiny bit off the right hand side so that there is a similar amount of darkness both sides. The second and third do not have enough tonal differentiation for me, and look a bit 'muddy' but an increase in contrast may fix it. The final two I love both, and would not change anything about them personally. A great set with the first and fourth being stand outs for me.

For me the first is cracking, possibly a bit more dark on the right than left, so if it was mine I might crop a tiny bit off the right hand side so that there is a similar amount of darkness both sides. The second and third do not have enough tonal differentiation for me, and look a bit 'muddy' but an increase in contrast may fix it. The final two I love both, and would not change anything about them personally. A great set with the first and fourth being stand outs for me.

Thank you Nguss - really appreciated the feedback given. I honestly didn't notice the lack of symmetry in the forefront of the first shot and now you've mentioned it that's all I can see.

I've also been back out in Edinburgh recently practising street (urban) photography at the Fringe festival and thought I'd share a few shots:

Last edited:
Back